**OFFICIAL** Dell XPS M1730 Owner's Lounge, *Part 4*

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by nzaptx, Jun 5, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. eleron911

eleron911 HighSpeedFreak

Reputations:
    Anyone playing Max Payne 3? Magnus, specifically, if you have an SLI profile, that's be great, it's not running as good as I'd hope...

2. SLIy

SLIy Newbie

Reputations:
    Hey Guys i was looking for 1730 reviews and saw this thread. I am buying a 1730 with these specs,

X9000 - 2.80GHz

9800M - SLI - 1GB x 2

4GB Ram and 320GB HDD

its a used unit but seller says condition is A,

Price is 500$.

So it looks like a great deal to me if condition is ok and there are no heating problems with the graphics card.

Any thing i should look out for or any other suggestions?
    thanks.

3. eleron911

eleron911 HighSpeedFreak

Reputations:
    Well, the price is more than decent, if it's still working ok.

Issues... well, those can only be seen when running games on it :) So if he's willing to give you a 7 day trial out, it's be fine.

Max temps should NOT exceed 80-82C for the GPU, and 80C for the CPU.

4. Magnus72

Magnus72 Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    I have not Max Payne installed Eleron but I will give it a try and see if I can make a good SLI profile for it.

5. twinpeaks

twinpeaks Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I would like some feedback. I had some heavy duty work on my laptop including new hard drives, mother board, case. It's tight as can be and purs like a kitten. UNFORTUNATELY while doing all of this heavy lifting, they broke something that was fine when I sent it in. They broke the little button you push to pop out the remote control. I can get the remote control out by using a pen, but it really ANNOYS me to no end that they broke something that was fine. That particular part is not available. I'm so unhappy. It seems minor but every time I touch that area and feel the rough, broken plastic, I get pissed off. And I do use that remote in hotel rooms to watch blu-rays.

They told me they could depot it again and offered me that option but I'd likely get a swap. Considering how tight the computer is, maybe I should just live with it. Or since these models just don't hold up long term, likely it's going to be dead in a year or two anyway and I should go ahead and push for a replacement.

6. nccknight

nccknight Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Wow, been awhile since I last checked out these forums, nice to see the M1730 thread still going.

Has anyone been a part of any of the Guild Wars 2 Betas? I'm wondering how the M1730 can handle it.

I still have my M1730 pretty much stock from when I first got it other than a SSD I recently put in as the main drive and upgrading out of Vista to Windows 7. T9300 @ 2.5ghz, 8800M GTXs, 4 gb ram. Haven't looked up the shader model version of the 8800s but everything else is above the Min reqs. I've contemplated upgrading to a X9000 and 8gb of ram but at the cost I'm nearing a new system.

I played Rift on this system (pre ssd and win 7) last year and was able to run it on mediumish settings with the fps dropping significantly during raids and heavy combat. This was also on BIOS A10 so I kept some settings low due to overheating (I didn't know about A11 until this past weekend, almost 2 yrs of playing on lower settings b/c of fans :( ) Closest comparable recent game I've tried on this system is Tribes: Ascend (which really isn't that good of a comparison). On max settings I see the bottleneck being the CPU.

Long story short I'd be happy enough to run GW2 reasonably well on low/medium settings. Worst case I'll have to use my M11x which is marginally better hardware wise albeit on a tiny screen.

7. Consi Pit

Consi Pit Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Thank you for the information. But this time I had problems with all the games after installing 301.XX. Back to the older drivers did not help - I had to reinstall OS.

8. sgheeter

sgheeter Newbie

Reputations:
    I'm running the 304.79 under Windows 7 x64 on mine (8800GTX) and it is great! The 301 caused me headaches as well.

Steve

9. nccknight

nccknight Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I'm contemplating upgrading my CPU from the T9300 to either the X7900 or X9000 will I need a different fan or heat sink than what already came with my M1730 or will it suffice?

10. m1730owner

m1730owner Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I don't think you can put different to what's already inside. Someone has to confirm this though. I'm not 100% sure.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.