**OFFICIAL** Dell XPS M1730 Owner's Lounge, *Part 4*

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by nzaptx, Jun 5, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nzaptx

nzaptx Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    So motherboard died on m1730, repair guy came round and replaced motherboard and ac adaptor, unfortunately it turns out the laptop is pretty much dead. He thinks the palm rest shorted causing other parts to short out and recommended a collect and return.

How long does this normally take and is it worth it?

2. Consi Pit

Consi Pit Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    That's right , I also do not see it. I just wanted to make sure :eek:

3. Jessero

Jessero Newbie

Reputations:
    hi guys, i run windows 7 with al most all drivers update than the beast guide, and runs fine, 7 days take me to make my m1730 in shape, XD, still one 8700 is disable, i see only one, maybe 1 is dead, but i'm very impress to play wow and medium, the ultrasharp 17" RGBLED with Truelife is very amazing, i change a acer 5560 sb653 con15" HD LED for my m1730 and i can tell you guys it's nothing to compare the disply in 1730 to hdled of today XD

4. Mars79

Mars79 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    May I ask you guys which drivers you are using? Especially the win7 64bit drivers for the cardreader and the audio device? There are quite a few out there, but they are all pretty outdated.

5. Jessero

Jessero Newbie

Reputations:
    cardreader winupdate, audio last from dell =D

6. Mars79

Reputations:
    Would that be version 6.10.0.5866, the audio driver that is?
    That same driver is mentioned on "The Beast Guide". Have looked some further, but I'm unable to find any newer Sigmatel drivers. There are some IDT drivers (they bought Sigmatel) which seem to work as well, but only on certain types of Dell notebooks. Haven't been succesfull so far with those drivers.

7. DeeWiiNs

DeeWiiNs Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi Guys, Girls And Anyone Who Hasn't Decided :D

I Recently Joined The M1730 Club, Bought Myself A Base Model Ready For Upgrade. Basically I Have;

T9300 2.4Ghz
    4GB Ram (2x 2GB)
    2x 120GB HDD
    Sli 9800 GT
    DVD Rewriter

I Want To Upgrade All Of These Except The Graphics (Cost..) But Was Wondering What Specific Pieces I Need. For Instance..

CPU: Looking At x7900 Or x9000, This One Particularly x7900 eBay Much Cheaper Than X9000 Plus Its Available xD Compatible?

Ram: I Think I Read I Need DDR2? Would This Be Compatible? 8GB Ram eBay

HDD's: Will Any Work? Specific Connections? Want A 120GB SSD And A 500GB 7200RPM Storage. Maybe OCZ Agility SSD And Seagate Storage?

DVD Drive: Want To Upgrade To Blu-ray Reader. Think I Read Somewhere I Need A UJ220, But Worried About Compatibility Issues. Would This Suit? UJ220 BR Drive eBay

Any Help Would Be Much Appreciated, Want To Get These Upgrades Done ASAP. Thanks In Advance.

8. Mars79

Reputations:
    CPU: The x7900 should work without any problems, though I doubt if you'll really see some improvement. Both CPU's perform at stock speed quite the same, with the x7900 being slightly better. So unless you are going to overclock the x7900, I'm not sure if this is worth the money. The x9000 would be a much better choice.
    see also: http://forum.notebookreview.com/gateway-emachines/295720-t9300-vs-x7900-games.html

RAM: The one you linked is the wrong type of memory. This type memory is for a normal desktop. You need SO-DIMM. Note that the max supported speed of memory for the M1730 is 667 MHz. Any 800 MHz module will downclock itself to 667 MHz..
    see: 8GB (2X4GB) MEMORY 512X64 PC2-5300 667MHZ 1.8V DDR2 200 PIN SO DIMM | eBay

HDD: Any SATA 2,5" notebook drive should work without any problems. Note that the max speed you will get is SATA2.

DVD: This is one works for sure: Dell M1730 XPS UJ-220 Blu-ray BDVD-ROM DVD±RW IDE/ATA TESTED | eBay
    The drive you mentioned: It looks like it's the same type, although I'm not sure about the mountingpoint (screw) and if you can exchange the front bezel.

9. dikkiedirk

dikkiedirk Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Replying my own post. Can anyone help on this?

Any word on the lifespan of the 9800GTX SLI? Will they suffer any overheating issues and die as quick as 8700, 8800 or 8800 SLI? Or are the 9800 GTX SLI better on this?

10. Mars79

Reputations:
    You already tried resetting CMOS/replacing CMOS battery?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.