**OFFICIAL** Dell XPS M1730 Owner's Lounge, *Part 4*

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by nzaptx, Jun 5, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Metalman

Metalman Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Congratulations on your new toy. Hope you enjoy it.

2. mrjoko

mrjoko Newbie

Reputations:
    Hey guys.
    i've been having m1730 since 2009. And ive renew my warranty three times due to graphic card issues on exactly 2 month after each 1 year warranty has expired. May 2012 was the last time i extend my warranty. Currently im in malaysia with the "refurbished" rig just laying inside my wardrobe cause im too afraid to use it anymore.
    in this case, can i get alienware replacement? Or should i wait until my m1730 broken then i ask for replacement?

thanks

3. HowardH

HowardH Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hi folks,

A couple of things,

i have decided to up the workload of my xps and am going to spoil her with an 8gig ram uprade, new graphics card, etc.

First, can someone tell me what the very best graphics card for the old girl is please, at the mo she has the 8700m gt which is a pile of crap and i cant wait to get rid of it.

Also i want to use it for recording so i want to hook up firewire to it if anyone knows anything about this.

And lastly since batteries only give five minutes anyway it doesn't matter about the size of the drive so i was wondering how big we can go?

Thanks in advance
    Howard

4. MWarrenb

MWarrenb Newbie

Reputations:
    I have a problem, hoping for help.
    I recently updated my m1730 from the 8700m gt sli to the 9800m gtx sli cards. (Purchased new.) Installation went fine.
    After booting up and starting a game, after only a few minutes of steady game play I had a massive fps loss. I had Riva tuner's hardware monitor on in the background, and sure enough the fps loss coincided with my new cards down-clocking themselves mid-game at the same time.
    Temps were 98c and I read on another forum that's the point these cards down-clock as an overheating safeguard.
    Turns out only 1 of the 2 GPU fans is working, dell diagnostics utility confirmed this with a 3700:011b error code - fan speed is incorrect. It reported all speeds for 2nd fan as 0 (meaning not working?)
    *My question* Would a disabled fan indicate a faulty card, or is it wishful thinking to hope the A11 bios update (from A10) might re-enable it? I'd rather not make matters worse as I also read others were having issues with that update.
    Sorry for long post but thank you for reading.

*Update* I broke the laptop down and reassembled it, making sure the gfx card's "faulty" fan was able to turn in its housing. Ran bios diagnostic again and both fans were recognized and passed all tests. Ran 3dmark 06 and got a 12668 score with cpu @3.0ghz. Much better than the 9500 I got yesterday, which must have been due to overheating/under clocking itself.
    Temps seem stable as well with a 63c idle and 80c max load. (Was 80/85c idle and 98c max!)

5. HowardH

Reputations:
    Sheesh if this thread was any slower they would shut it down lol

6. 72hundred

72hundred Revolutions-Per-Millennia

Reputations:

Ha, I think this thread has actually caused NBR as a whole problems previous. Hence we're on a multi-thread part!

7. HowardH

Reputations:
    Hi 72Hundred, anywhere else we can post then?

8. dikkiedirk

dikkiedirk Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I have M1730 with 2x9800M GTX SLI. I just recently put Windows 7 64bit Ultimate on it. What are the right graphics drivers for this videocard that will allow SLI to be enabled? Currently GPU-Z says that SLI is not enabled.

9. 72hundred

72hundred Revolutions-Per-Millennia

Reputations:
    No, no. It's fine to post here. Previously when this whole thread was contained as one it caused problems. But its fine in multiple parts. BatBoy keeps an eye on that I'd say!

10. wah47

wah47 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Anyone tried Crysis 2 with a Core 2 Duo T8300?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.