**OFFICIAL** Dell XPS M1730 Owner's Lounge, *Part 4*

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by nzaptx, Jun 5, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kingpinzero

Kingpinzero ROUND ONE,FIGHT! You Win!

Reputations:
    You don't need xp x64, just plain x86. There aren't really any games that support more than 4gb of system ram, as the max recommended ram under xp for any dx9 game is at max 2 gb.

With 4gb you have 3,5gb of usable system memory as the remaining 512mb will be used for video resource allocation under xp.
    The xp graphical interface uses GDI drawing therefore is handled by the CPU, thus freeing the gpu from the workload of the interface.

That's why using gamebooster is a common technique under XP as it frees CPU resources.
    Also remember that DX9 under 7 is emulated by dx11 framework thus is noticiably slower compared to Xp.

So the optimal setup for our beast is Windows Xp sp3 x86 and Windows 7 x64 in dual boot.
    Get rid of vista as it's slower and clunky compared to seven about performance and general system handling.

7 is not officially supported because Dell didnt bother to open a win 7 section in the download page, but I assure you there's nothing that doesnt work on it.
    All the Dell apps and programs works just fine if you want to use x64 apps like the hotkey utility.

2. PIN360

PIN360 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:

Okay, so I know there was a thing posted on the forums referring to a website I think where there was info about getting drivers for the beast if you are to use windows 7. By chance would you remember this site? I can try google anyways.

Also, I havent dual booted a system in a good long while -.- Do I install XP first or Windows 7? I think you start with the older OS first... but yeah...

Thanks for the reply!

3. Kingpinzero

Reputations:
    Start with Xp first,then go for 7.
    The beast guide you're referring to is old and outdated, plus there's nothing interesting to download there.
    You don't need anything beside Dell quickset available from Dell itself.
    Then go over intel and grab the intel chipset software utility in zip format (create a shortcut to setup.exe and add -overall at the end of the exe path, under proprieties,for a complete installation).
    Then download latest nvidia drivers for 7 x64.
    For xp, get it installed and I'll be more than happy to give you a modded inf for it ;)

4. PIN360

Reputations:
    Well I was well underway to getting XP installed on the Beast but ran into an issue. It pertains to installing XP on a RAID set up. I have a sp2 disc which I am aware does not have the drivers on the disc itself to support RAID during installation (or at least that is my understanding). However, I could have sworn I had a SP3 disc lying around somewhere that I got from Dell.

Before I bother trying all sorts of crazy sh*t with my SP2 disc, will SP3 have the drivers preloaded onto the disc?

5. PIN360

Reputations:

Meh...

Went and created a Windows XP sp3 disc with raid drivers. Took me a minute but its out of the way now.

6. Kingpinzero

Reputations:
    That's good, however I advice to drop the raid setup as we concluded it's not reliable on our xps based on the test/findings made from other users in the precedent megathread. We had quite a problem.
    The ideal is having a fast drive/ssd for both oses and a bigger one for storing data such games.
    You're installing it already right, otherwise I would suggest to switch to Ahci mode and leave the Hdds as individual for their life sake.
    The intel raid chipset on our xps is crappy and it's known to screw up partitions and data speed with serious data streaming issues after some time.

7. Kingpinzero

Reputations:
    Yo guys i had time to test a few games under XP with 275.50 betas, usual tweaks, cpu at 3,6.

Alice Madness Returns: Maxed Out, Physx Max, Average 64fps (the bug about the physx is present here as well as on my pc, basically particles are rendered badly therefore the framerate drops to 30's. Framerate is unlocked by config)

Duke Nukem Forever: Maxed Out, FXAA, Average 45fps.

Sega Rally Revo: Maxed Out, 8xCsaa, Average 60fps.

Shift 2 modded sli profile: Maxed out, ultra quality mod, Average 45fps.

Thats all ;)

8. Magnus72

Magnus72 Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Woot just bought a new monitor for my desktop.

ASUS 23" VH238T LED 1080p

Talk about great picture, awesome quality. Must say my GTX 460 holds it´s own at 1080p no problem at all running all games :)

Definitely SLI soon with GTX 460 in SLI ;)

9. Kingpinzero

Reputations:
    That's great, I'm running an HS244Hq bmii acer, 24" 3dready fullhd led.
    I prolly end up doing sli with my gtx570 although I have a few records already under my belt.
    Still since the power of the 570 is so huge I don't feel like buying another one.
    And we're talking about maxing everything while having framerates well above 90fps lol.

10. Magnus72

Magnus72 Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Yeah with consoles setting the standard nowadays there is no need to upgrade anytime soon :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.