**OFFICIAL** Dell XPS M1730 Owner's Lounge, *Part 4*

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by nzaptx, Jun 5, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. totostar

totostar Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Damn nice kingping :p

I'll be loading that right away !

Anyways, lots and lots of people were screaming cause the demo was the same thing we were seeing for more than a year now.
    Gearbox replied saying it was not the final build, that graphics would be more polished etc etc...
    So I got my balls of steel edition and... well it's exactly what we got from the demo, same graphics same everything.
    Did gearbox lie? or have you noticed improvements?

Cheers :p

2. Kingpinzero

Kingpinzero ROUND ONE,FIGHT! You Win!

Reputations:
    No i didnt noticed any improvements, beside a bit of polish here and there and some framerate polishing, but nothing much.
    The demo was the same as the final build. Either you'll love it or hate it :)
    Just a tip; dont take this game seriously and dont compare it to anything else. Play it as you played duke 3d (if you did) back in times, like running around the level to find the exit.
    Its much better this way.

3. totostar

Reputations:
    Luckily i'm a die hard Duke fan so yeah basically I am playing it as Duke 3d II so it's ok :)

4. Brotherhood

Brotherhood Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I've had my xps 1730 for about 2 years now. The specs are
    Core 2 duo @2.50ghz
    Nvidia 9800M Sli.

about 6 months ago one of the video cards died, and i have had to have it disabled (from the device manager) for the computer to run and not black screen. Last night while watching a video, the screen dimmed like it was going to sleep and then started rotating through solid red, blue, green, white, and black screens. (not sure if thats the exact order).

After starting the computer I am immediatly sent to the same r/b/g/w/b rotating screens and not even able to see the typical dell loading or win 7 loading screens.

If i hook the computer up to a second monitor and close the laptop screen then I am able to get an image on the monitor but it is heavily pixilated. I was able to boot to safemode, but still the screen remained pixilated. I tried disabling both video cards and this didnt seem to help at all.

Anyone have this problem before or have a fix? I am guessing my second video card died. I browsed around google looking for people with similar problems and, besides ordering new graphics cards, havnt found many solutions.

5. totostar

Reputations:
    Classic symptoms of dying/dead card, you could try baking them before resorting to buying new ones.

6. Brotherhood

Brotherhood Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I really don't think I want to look into buying new ones, they just seem to pricey and from it sounds like it may just happen again.

On ebay I noticed two different repair services. I am wondering if looking into either of these would be worth the time/money, and whether or not they would be better then trying to bake the cards. Here is a link to one of them
    goo.gl/7RYG8
    Thanks for your response

7. Andy3008

Andy3008 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hi everyone , newbie on this forum so be gentle please. :)

I have an XPS M1730 with the 8800m GTX SLI GPU. Laptop was in sleep mode and when i went to bring it out of this mode (by pressing the start button) screen remained black for a while and then i got one loud beep and screen was still black. Held start button down and laptop rebooted into Windows but now have noticed that SLI mode is gone ? Have uninstalled drivers for GPU and re-installed with no luck. Uninstalled media direct software but made no difference. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Currently using Win7 ultimate x64. SLI worked from installation no problems and never had a problem coming out of sleep mode before.

I did notice once that when i did a cold start by using the media direct button to start the laptop that once it got into windows there was no SLI, but this was solved by shutting down and restarting using the start button.

Thanks

8. Kingpinzero

Kingpinzero ROUND ONE,FIGHT! You Win!

Reputations:
    Andy: before we attempt to help you, boot your xps in a normal way, then go into device manager and check if you have two video adapters. If not then your second card is dead hence the no sli.
    You can check this also by using nvidia control panel. Right click on desktop, choose nvcp, then check if you have the option Sli and Physx. If not you're running one card only as the second is probably dead.
    Booting the laptop with media button enables only one card.

@Brotherhood: the eBay repairing service you're looking at is basically a gpu reballing + copper shim mod. It should fix any problems regarding bad soldering on both gpu and vrams. The process is similar to the oven bake method but it should last longer as the reballing basically reflow every solder point in place so it should be like new.
    Definitely something I wi do instead of buying a new card. But make sure they Apply a copper shim mod on the sli bridge as that keeps your gpus away to failing.

9. Andy3008

Andy3008 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hi Kingpinzero, starting my xps in the "normal" way still does not enable sli, device manager confirmed this as it only showed 1 adaptor. Nvidia control panel has no sli options also. :mad:

I did read somewhere that media direct software sometimes is a problem but even without installing that there is no sli. I guess the deadly beep i got coming out of safe mode has condemned my sli.

Maybe it's time to post in the wanted to buy thread. GPU's for xps's in Australia are like rocking horse , they don't exist.

10. pmassey31545

pmassey31545 Whats the mission sir?

Reputations:
    Got an 8800M GTX!!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.