**OFFICIAL** Dell XPS M1730 Owner's Lounge, *Part 4*

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by nzaptx, Jun 5, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Magnus72

Magnus72 Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Most important ones is actually the GPU driver and the chipset driver. Updating and testing different chipset drivers can do wonders to the beast of how the GPU´s run.

Also Win XP SP3 is really good for our XPS M1730 and most games for me runs better in Win XP than Win 7 64bit.

However I can write up a tutorial of what to update and such tweaks if you want.

2. TimeWriter

TimeWriter Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    That would be nice, thanks. Also, if you can, link me to a better chipset driver.
    I think that's the first one I should install, right?

Also, I'm planning in keeping only Windows 7 as dual boot is giving me headaches, the latest NVIDIA drivers seem fine to me, but if quadros are better, I'll give them a shot.
    Other than chipset and GPU drivers, what else are you using? Also, how about the OS? Have you made any tweaks?

I have a DIY version of Windows 7 made with RT7Lite (I've removed some useless features such as games, photos, themes etc, disabled some services and so on). It works great for me, but if you have some specific tweaks, please mention them.

3. Consi Pit

Consi Pit Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    With bios A10 I had 67-75 idle , and up to 85 in games ( depending of game , but most often it was 78 under load ) . Now , with bios A11 I have max 50 in idle , and max 69 under load ( Wicher 2 played during 3 hours ) .
    As for the fan works - it is a little nervous ;] becouse it is kicks very often for short period in idle , and working very loud when gaming ( that is why I use headphones :] ) but something for something ;] .
    Temperature more than 85 is too high imho .
    edit : I have 8800gtx

4. totostar

totostar Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Woohoo part 4 :p

Duke Nukem runs ok but no sli profile yet..
    The Dev's say the retail version will have more polished graphics.
    my balls of steel edition shipped out today, can't wait to start throwing poop everywhere :D

5. Magnus72

Reputations:
    Yes the OS is tweaked too, mostly my XP os is tweaked although Win 7 is tweaked somewhat too.

Yes I´ll see what tweaks I made to my OS and post them here.

Totostar for SLI with Duke Nukem just use the bulletstorm profile for it if you have Nvidia Inspector just add the duke exe to that profile and it works :)

6. pmassey31545

pmassey31545 Whats the mission sir?

Reputations:
    Mine are usually around 75C tops in game. Got the back propped up on Gary Fongs Gups and repasted with ICD7. Seem good. Usually idle around 52-54C.

7. msuspartan

msuspartan Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hey guys I noticed my screen on on m1730 had a very small area where the pixel seems to be black/dead. I'm starting to notice that it got a little larger. My computer is'nt under warranty any more so is there a tool to fix that or is it a bad screen that needs to be replaced if it gets larger?

8. totostar

totostar Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Thanks a lot Magnus :D i'll do that right away :p

9. Kingpinzero

Kingpinzero ROUND ONE,FIGHT! You Win!

Reputations:
    Mag advice works ok, but if you want the original profile for the fullgame, here it is.
    Just load it up with nvidia inspector.
    Check attachment ;)
    NB: this is the official profile!

Attached Files:

10. Magnus72

Reputations:
    Thanks Kingpin, I´ll see if there is any boost in performance with the official SLI profile :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.