**OFFICIAL** Dell XPS M1730 Owner's Lounge, *Part 4*

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by nzaptx, Jun 5, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nzaptx

nzaptx Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hm good to know, only really play sc2 (mainly processor intensive) and watch streams simultaneously. Working fine now, and have warranty till 2014. Definately a very good system.

The tech actually said he seen a lot of these (xps m1730) and replaced a lot of graphics cards mainly due to overheating issues so was suprised that this was the first issue yet in 3 years (for me).

Can't yet say how much difference the change in gfx card has made, only the slight buzz I mentioned earlier.

2. Magnus72

Magnus72 Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Well I got lucky with my 9800m GT´s I have no buzzing sound.

3. TimeWriter

TimeWriter Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    My 8800's buzz too, but I can only hear it when all fans are off. This isn't an issue for me, even the CPU does some weird sound, some people call it "whine".

4. pmassey31545

pmassey31545 Whats the mission sir?

Reputations:
    Mine runs like a champ and I have one of the lower end cards and CPUs. It is very nice and still has some life in it. I can though, see a difference in hard core gaming. Lower fps. Just biding my time till M18x money comes along. Anyone want an M1730 in my sig???

5. msuspartan

msuspartan Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I've had my xps for quite a while now and I've actually never have had a single problem with any hardware on it. I make sure there is never any dust or debri buildup inside my computer and use the airduster if there is.

6. Clawz114

Clawz114 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I don't suppose anyone knows what sort of temps are considered 'normal' for the 8800 and 9800 cards? Also, what temps are too high?

Also, I updated the BIOS on my M1730 last week from A10 to A11 and have since noticed the fans spinning erratically. It seems to increase in speed for a few seconds, then slow back down and repeat. Is this normal? Did they implement this on purpose to try and stop the graphics cards overheating?

7. Magnus72

Reputations:
    Well my 9800m GT´s runs in the 70-75c range. The 8800m GTX SLI I had before run hotter, more around 80-85c depending on game during summers. I have 26 celsius in my apartment.

However I just ran the Duke Nukem demo Ultra settings and antialiasing and it runs really good. I think the game uses the UE3 engine anyway, seems so, so just adding the exe to the bulletstorm profile in Nvidia Inspector did it. The game runs really good in Win 7 for me with Quadro Drivers :)

8. xps_m1710

xps_m1710 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Finally decided to give in and rebuild my desktop PC, this xps is great at games for a laptop, but I missed the way desktops just play all games with ease and theres a few games now which I just cant get my xps to play at decent settings :(. Desktop spec will be as follows - Core i7 960 (3.2GHz when @ Stock), GTX 570, 6GB Corsair Dominator Tri-Channel DDR3 1600MHz, X58 Motherboard, X-Fi Fatal1ty Pro, can't wait haha!

9. Magnus72

Reputations:
    Yeah I know what you mean XPS M1710 :) I also built a new desktop and will SLI it soon with another GTX 460. However my single GTX 460 is enough for now with my Core I7 2600k CPU.

Now I play more games on the XPS M1730 than my desktop actually. I think with more tweaking of your system your XPS will play most game decently. My plays most games very well though it is heavily tweaked.

10. TimeWriter

TimeWriter Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I'm sure of that, even though if my T9300 is keeping my graphics power in chains, anyway, the latest drivers seem to do a little better with limited CPU power.

Could you make a tutorial with all the tweaks (of some of them, the most importantly ones would be nice) you've made on your machine?
    That would be great for us who don't know much about SLI machines, especially me. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.