**OFFICIAL** Dell XPS M1730 Owner's Lounge, *Part 4*

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by nzaptx, Jun 5, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Metalman

Metalman Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    They say that the card is new and they do look new. The card is sealed in an antistatic bag but the box does not say Dell on it. The seller said that the cards are overstock and that they buy them in bulk packaging.

2. skin76

skin76 Newbie

Reputations:
  3. Metalman

Metalman Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
  4. Johndill

Johndill Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I tried 334.89 again and it seems to work well on other games with no problem, but Crysis will work for a while before the game locks up.

Has anyone tried the beta VBIOS to fix the yellow tint, or is there another fix for the yellow tint?

5. GeforcerFX

GeforcerFX Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Metalman's suggested seller is where I got my 9800m GTX's from and they have been running great since June (granted i didn't get to game a ton this summer). The 9800m GTX's can use the latest drivers without issue.

334.89 also gave me stability issues after awhile, but was a lot better then the 341 series drivers. The default windows installed drivers (327 for you) always worked best for my 8700m GT cards, most of the others I tested and I ran into stability problems either on boot or during games. 334 gave me the best overall performance, but the default windows drivers were still the most stable. The 9800m GTX's are a very nice upgrade, but after spending the last 5 months gaming on this thing, if your interested in the newest titles coming down the pipeline this fall I would just say save your money. We have lost Driver support on all the cards due to there age, and even with a x9000 running at 3.6ghz we are CPU bottlenecking the 9800m GTX in most modern games.

6. Johndill

Reputations:
    Thanks, I'll just install 327.02 again and hopefully it's more stable, I mostly wanted it for Call of Duty: Black Ops 2 and older games (possibly Battlefield 3 or 4 if it runs on the 9800 GTX's) I only got this M1730 for $115 AUD and when I sell my other parts, my M1730 repair project will cost me nothing, possibly even profit :) I'll only upgrade to the 9800 GTX SLI if I can find a cheap one here in Australia (as there's no point in sinking money into an almost 9 year old laptop), I decided to get an M1730 because it ticked all the boxes I wanted for a cheap gaming laptop in my budget :)

My screen has a slight/faint yellow tint to it, I don't know if it's the same yellow problem that everyone's got but mine is like a projector when it starts getting a yellow tint.

7. GeforcerFX

Reputations:
    Never played Black ops 2 on the m1730, but looking at the requirements and my experience with the other cods on my even weaker m1710 says it will prob play fine. Battlefield 4 is a no go on my system in multiplayer, can barely get above 30 FPS for any meaningful amount of time, CPU limited GPUs aren't doing anything. Bf3 can play just fine on my system, which amazes me since there's not a lot of difference in there multiplayer. GTA V is a no go, CPU limited, same for The Crew. It's basically the curse for this laptop, as long as the game is CPU light then the system can utilize the dual GPUs (borderlands eats them up) but a lot of the modern games are expecting 4 cores (or 4 threads at least) and a better overall performance on the CPU than these C2D can push anymore.

8. Johndill

Reputations:
    With my Core 2 Duo T9500 at 70% to 100% and 8700M GT SLI, Black Ops 2 at 1024x768 all on low settings runs at about 40-60fps so it's rather playable :)

Does anyone know what version of MSI Afterburner still works with the M1730's Logitech LCD? as the newest version (4.1.1) does not detect it. I'd like to be able to display my temps and usage.

I found a way to enter the BIOS "Thermal Control Panel" for those that want to see there real temps:
    http://www.tomsguide.com/faq/id-1865540/change-dell-laptop-fan-speed-updated-info-questions.html

Once you have read it, to exit that mode press: SHIFT + FN + DELETE, and the Scroll Lock LED will stop flashing.

9. GeforcerFX

Reputations:
    i am on Afterburner 4.0.0 and it works fine still, if i move up then I lose my Logitech display. Whats odd though is that my friends hacked up G15 screen still works with the newest 4.1.1

10. Johndill

Reputations:
    Thanks, I'll try 4.0.0, I have a G510 keyboard and the latest still works on its LCD :)

Just for fun I had a spare M1730 LCD, I checked the M1730's motherboard schematics and found that the LCD is a module connected to the motherboard via a USB 2.0 line, so I got a USB cord and soldered it to the LCD then connected it to my PC and it works!! it shows XPS, then I installed the Dell LCD driver and it works! :-D There is a picture showing the correct wiring if you want to try it yourself, the unused pad on the right is for Dell diagnostics so it's not needed.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 12, 2015
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.