**OFFICIAL** Dell XPS M1730 Owner's Lounge, *Part 4*

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by nzaptx, Jun 5, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dale350zman

dale350zman Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    In the games option you should be able to change the image size by messing with the res or it will have a screen parameters setup.

I actually remember now sli never worked for me on latest drivers and I had to roll them back. You don't need the sli option in the game. If you have sli on in nvidia it will always use both. If you use msi after burner there is actually an option to show each gpu usage on the LCD game panel.

2. pctek

pctek Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:

Your right about the latest newest drivers don't work with sli enable gives the bsod screen, another guy said this and said to use the previous version and its good.

3. pctek

pctek Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I have sli enabled in the nvidia panel and i installed batman arkham city goty edition i thought within a game video settings is where you turn on sli but I guess not right? If its enabled in the nvidia panel then its running a sli right?

Also i notice batman has option for hardware physx since most of us now don't use the m1730's agea physx dedicated card, are we still running a hardware physx card or no? How does this work? Thanks

4. dale350zman

dale350zman Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Physx is powered by the gpu these days and the cpu if the gpu doesn't support it. Its the way games and nvidia are programmed now. All the agea card used to do was take a small bit of weight off the cpu but now nvidia own physx they just program the gpus Cuda cores to deal with it.

I think all the sli option in game settings is for is incase you don't have sli activated in the nvidia control panel.

5. 2XM1730

2XM1730 Newbie

Reputations:
    I have replaced the system board by new one, and no response, try with other keyboard, and again no response. The "caps lock" light is on blinking and then nothing.I have tried with my old graphic card (broken, but the computer with it starts and no image) and the same again.

Finally today put another cpu and all lights on, (power, battery...) then off and no response.
    Reading the service manual I have find one power management board, that is not in the board, if the problem is not here i finally stop searching it.

6. GeforcerFX

GeforcerFX Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    So I was able to get 334.89 installed and working in SLI on my 1730 with 8700m GTs. Thought that might help some people running into the BSOD on boot with the newer drivers. Gonna keep testing from here.

7. dexster

dexster Newbie

Reputations:
    i have installed the 341.81 drives for the 9800m gtx's and they seem to be running great...

8. Johndill

Johndill Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Hello, I am now the proud owner of my first XPS M1730 that I have recently finished restoring:) anyone got a cheap 9800m GTX SLI? :)

Specs:
    Core 2 Duo T9500
    4GB ram
    Nvidia GeForce 8700M GT SLI
    Windows 8.1 Pro

So far it's been running ok, the board originally had A10 and the fan profiles were terrible starting the fan at 70°C dropping to 60°C on idle, now with the new A11 bios the fans kick in at 45°C and drop the temp to 40°C on idle and go to high at 50°C and drop to about 48°C on load :)

Atm I need a stable driver that works with SLI, Windows 8.1 auto installed 327.02 and SLI worked but performance wasn't great so I installed 341.81 but SLI doesn't work (freezes on boot, Windows 7 showed BSOD on boot when I tried 341.81) then I tried GeforcerFX's 334.89 suggestion and SLI works with good performance but when testing Crysis (my testing game) I get driver crashes and freezes (I never got crashes with the other drivers) so does anyone have a good driver version that works with 8700M GT SLI and has good stable performance? I have a small internet data limit and can't try them all myself :-(

And lastly, I noticed a sort of light yellow tint and I saw a VBIOS update that suppose to fix a yellow tint but it is a Beta so has anyone tried it, is it stable (being a Beta) and does it fix the yellow tint? Thanks

Last edited: Oct 31, 2015
  9. Metalman

Metalman Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
  10. Johndill

Johndill Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Thanks, I'm in Australia and that's $274.74 AUD for me, still a little pricey for me but it's the cheapest I've seen so far, thanks:) are they brand new sealed by Dell or second hand?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.