**OFFICIAL** Dell XPS M1730 Owner's Lounge, *Part 4*

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by nzaptx, Jun 5, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dale350zman

dale350zman Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    It shouldn't be doing that with the latest drivers. Try going for an older driver.

2. Metalman

Metalman Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I think M1730 is too old to use the latest video drivers. I and others have had problems with the latest drivers.

The latest drive from Nvidia that I could use was 296.10, any driver after that I would have problems.

I have had good luck with letting Microsoft install their drivers for the card, they are newer then the ones from Nvidia that I could get to work.

The physx is no longer supported by Nvidia, so when you install the new driver it only sees your video card not the physx card. I have removed the card as it is no longer needed.

After installing the drivers from Microsoft and you enable sli and your computer shows a BSOD after you reboot then you may have a bad card.

3. pctek

pctek Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Ok I will try an older driver like mention maybe i''ll try the 296.10 and go from there. So for now rather than physically removing the physx card can i just disable it from device manager and go ahead use only the nvidia control panel for settings right?

4. Metalman

Metalman Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Try disabling the card for now. Some have said they had problems after disabling it though.

I had the physx card in for years with to problem. The last time I opened my computer to clean the video card fans I removed it to help keep the heat down.

5. skin76

skin76 Newbie

Reputations:
    Hello everyone, I have a problem:
    Changed the video card NVIDIA GeForce 8800M GTX SLI is now a black screen ... Put another 8700M everything works ..

6. pctek

Reputations:
    With the 8800m in try loading windows in safe mode, if it works maybe just drivers issue.

7. dale350zman

Reputations:
    Where did you get the card from?

8. skin76

skin76 Newbie

Reputations:
    Card bought in Poland it is not tested, I was told there. Perhaps it is defective? Just a black screen and all.

9. dale350zman

Reputations:
    I'm afraid that would be your problem. All these cards coming from Poland etc that are apparently reballed and refurbished are no good. When I bought my so called refurbished 9800gtx it kept freezing under load and when I checked the card there wasn't even any new heat paste used. It was old heat paste all cracked and not even sticking to the heat sink. In the end I got a brand new 8800gtx from China. I went through 3 refurbished cards and they was all duds.

10. pctek

Reputations:
    Well I installed the 296.10 drivers mentioned above and so far runs good, I first disabled the ageia physx card in device manager since all the newer nvidia drivers bypasses it anyways. I wonder if all i had to do before was disable the ageia physx when trying to run and enable sli on the latest newest drivers?

I'll probably just leave the 296.10 until I run across a game that doesn't run well, right now im playing bullet storm and settings maxed out except shadows at low its what i usually do in all games for years and years where i put the shadows on low. Resolution is at the native which is 1920x1200 game runs smooth. I know this is a older game but i never played it before. I think the game supports sli but i didn't see sli option in the game settings should it have been in there? How do you a supported sli game is running both cards? thanks

Ohh one more question bullet storm is set to 1920x1200 but theres top and bottom black bars, is there a settings in nvidia control panel to fill a games screen?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.