**OFFICIAL** Dell XPS M1730 Owner's Lounge, *Part 4*

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by nzaptx, Jun 5, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 2XM1730

2XM1730 Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi, I have an M1730 for years, and suddenly one morning it would not start. :mad:
    It's as if energy is not left in the battery and the power supply is not connected to the plug.
    The first time it was turned on but did not start windows, and gradually got worse until only the power light turns on for a second and then turns off.
    I first test the power supply, then I changed the dc power jack socket, but still not working.
    Anyone have any idea?

2. StormJumper

StormJumper Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    AFAIK for GPU fix you either had to reflowed the solder or get a remanufacture/tested GPU to fix the dying GPU problem. Also did you verify during dissemble and re-assembly properly? You need to dissemble and check how you re-assembled the XPS again.

3. StormJumper

Reputations:
    This sounds more like a board problem...is that the original board in the system? If so could be a cause the board is finally going bad and maybe a board swap from eBay new/used could bring it back to life.

4. StormJumper

Reputations:
    AFAIK this is you and not the rest anyone can make that statement reverse M1730 with MSI and you get your same statement as well so this analogy isn't a good test.

What else would they make a gaming if it isn't for gaming purpose built in mind....that's a odd posting....

This is subjective analogy....I have dell laptop and don't have problems your talking about.....like comparing Apples to Oranges again....

Remember not everyone has your selections of laptops where they live...remember this is International forum and you get what you get in your Region not what you want to get...need to keep that grounded in reality here...

5. desone

desone Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    The chances are is that your video card (GPU) has failed. I suggest that you source a new one on eBay. There's a guy in Poland selling repaired GPU's M9880 GTX at a very reasonable price.

6. dale350zman

dale350zman Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I wouldn't trust it for a second. I got a repaired card off eBay and there wasn't even any heat sink paste on the gpu and that was from somewhere in the u.k never mind Poland lol.

7. StormJumper

Reputations:
    Well this is why you check the picture and verify and talk to eBay to resolve problems. You may think that but unfortunately your in the minority when it comes to eBay.

8. Consi Pit

Consi Pit Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I am from Poland and .... I do not advise to buy cards from Poland . Recently my cousin brought me the new 8700 sli from the USA in case if my 9800 gtx died . So I guess that my adventure with the Beast still will take some time ...(.since april 2008) :D

Greet to old xps m1730 users :hi2:

9. Metalman

Metalman Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    October 2008 here.

10. Consi Pit

Consi Pit Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Still alive? How many parts replacements ?

Btw I was worked for all weekend , and I played a few hours on the beast. (Mass Effect 3, FIFA 11, Race ON)
    I wonder how about the new games ? For example : Lords of The Fallen , Shadow of Mordor or DA:I ? or FIFA 15 .
    Anyone tried may be ?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.