**OFFICIAL** Dell XPS M1730 Owner's Lounge, *Part 4*

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by nzaptx, Jun 5, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. eleron911

eleron911 HighSpeedFreak

Reputations:
    Howdy guys!

Dunno how many of the old bunch is still around...

Just dropped by to say that my XPS has finally decided it was its time. It was working fine last night, but now there is no more video input, basically I press the ON button, it starts, but no image on the screen. Now, it could be a monitor issue, it could be a motherboard issue or a GPU issue, but I can't know for sure. There was no warning sign before, it simply won't show anything on screen anymore.

... and after 3 GPU replacements, 1 motherboard, 2 chargers and 1 battery, all on warranty, I think it's time I put it to rest.

And with that I also say goodbye to this thread. It's been a blast. Hopefully, there are still among you with usable M1730, it was and still is a beast :)

Cheers!

2. StormJumper

StormJumper Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    That's a pessimistic view aren't we... Did you even try a ext monitor hookup? If it was a board issue you wouldn't even get it to start off. And since we have no history besides the components replacement you mentioned no one will even begin to know what failed or why it doesn't start.

3. dale350zman

dale350zman Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Well seeing as its out of warranty now it mite not even be worth the cost of the repair, as we all know exactly how expensive the parts for these are.

4. StormJumper

Reputations:
    But as anything is expensive to fix new or old...it's about how much value is it to you. Also not everything new is better.

5. dale350zman

Reputations:
    True but what you get for your money new is a lot better and I must admit upgrading to my msi was the best move I made with mine. It's so reliable, powerful and great value. Every few months I was throwing a lot of money at my xps. At the end of the day it's still a Dell and when it comes to reliability they don't do to well.

6. 72hundred

72hundred Revolutions-Per-Millennia

Reputations:
    There's some of us still knocking about... Haha!

7. dale350zman

Reputations:
    Yer my old one is but has had another gpu since the upgrade to my msi.

8. StormJumper

Reputations:
    That's is also dependent on the user themselves as well abuse the laptop and you can guarantee it will die sooner then later. No one computer is more reliable then that other as they most likely are made by the same company in China and shipped to each manufacture to sell as their own so your so called "reliability" is very flawed here.

9. dale350zman

Reputations:
    Hmmm look at all the faults with the m1730 and compare it to any other and through experience in having my msi 2 years and really putting it through its paces is still going strong unlike my m1730 did. In the second year it needed a new gpu and ram, third it needed another gpu, forth motherboard then another gpu and game display so that was it. Enough was enough. Never mind all the chargers and batteries. You read through this thread and even people that have never played games on theirs have problems. You pay that much money for a laptop and its not what you want. Also it's a gaming laptop it should be able to be worked hard. Now if you ask me that isn't reliable. Also China may make all the parts but you get different quality and sadly Dell use the lowest to be greedy and pocket all the money they can and not worry about rep. Some companies want rep and and to sell good quality products.
    You look at any old threads on msi and other good manufactures machines and people don't have a quarter of the amount of problems as Dell's machines do. So that in my eye's is a good judgment for reliability already.

I'll happily help anyone with an m1730 through their issues on here as Iv been through the Same thing but I would never suggest to anyone to get a Dell through experience and if there is a chance for them to change to something else I would 100% recommend it before more Money lost, inconvenience and frustration is caused as it never stops.

10. m@tski

m@tski Newbie

Reputations:
    hi there
    i took my m1730 apart to fix the gpu due to black screen ... everything seems ok now except when i move the screen even very slightly it will power off.
    Obviously i have done something to the switch that turns the display off when you close the laptop .... is there anyway i can fix this or bypass it?
    thanks
    matt

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.