---> OFFICIAL: Dell STUDIO 14z Owner's Lounge <---

Discussion in 'Dell' started by poison7fl, May 28, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mhans13

mhans13 Newbie

Reputations:
    I recently bought a studio 14z and I was curious if the gpu can be upgraded. I know that it is a stand alone card, not integrated into the mother board, but I hear it can't be upgraded. Is this true? And if not, what would would be the best compatible card I should buy? Any help would be greatly appreciated

2. Tsunade_Hime

Tsunade_Hime such bacon. wow

Reputations:
    Seems like the 14z has the GS45 chipset and only has 4500MHD Intel integrated GPU. There is no upgrading the GPU. Since there is no available DGPU motherboard, and no Expresscard, there literally is no GPU upgrade available, you would be better off buying a new laptop. If you want slim still and discreet graphics, you could take a look at the Acer TimelineX series, but be prepared to pay 700+.

3. Dal123456

Dal123456 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Has anyone experienced temperature difference in their gpu by reapplying the paste?
    I spent about 10 minutes vacuuming all the vents and it dropped the core and HDD temperatures over 20 degrees but only a couple degrees lower on the gpu.

4. jughernut

jughernut Newbie

Reputations:
    Anyone know the thickness of the thermal pad I would need for my 14z? 9400m?

I upgraded the cpu today and tossed the thermal pad away unknowingly and the thermal paste I put on was not making contact with the gpu at all. This caused the gpu to hit 85c and throttle.

5. ComputerMD82

ComputerMD82 NX-74205

Reputations:
    Never took a close look at the thermal pad used even though I've dismantled these at least a dozen times. I can check for you but I'm guessing 1/2mm.

6. desiindc

desiindc Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Can anyone recommend a place to buy replacement batteries for this (8cell, 74WHr)? I know there are a bunch of ebay and Amazon sellers, but I would be more confidant buying if some of you have had a positive experience with some particular seller. Thanks!

7. ComputerMD82

ComputerMD82 NX-74205

Reputations:
    Hi, I have 3 of the 8 cell batteries for our 14z laptops, 2 came from eBay, one was direct from Dell. If you order it direct from Dell you will have to call them, the part is not listed on the website anymore. Be warned it costs $136.99. The batteries are brand new though and capacity exceeded the rated value. Zero wear, seemed made to order. (I had to wait 10 days for the battery). Here is the Dell part info:

"312-0883 74 WHR 8-CELL LION PRIM BATT CUST"

If you buy on eBay, make sure it's a US seller, and make sure it has a warranty. I try to buy only genuine batteries, i.e. batteries originally from Dell, Lenovo, etc. I wouldn't suggest OEM batteries, just in case. This looks promising:

New Original Dell Studio 14z 1440 1440Z 14 8V 74WH 8Cell Laptop Battery M916K | eBay

If you need any further assistance with your 14z please let me know!

8. desiindc

Reputations:
    Thanks. Ended up buying this at eBay link. I will update this thread on how well that battery performs. The laptop itself still works fine. My only wish is that the fan would not turn up so loud and often.

9. desiindc

Reputations:
    I seem to have hit on a cludgy solution that finally silences this laptops. If anyone is still using this laptop and is interested in finding out more, do respond to this thread. It might be cool to find a nicer way to implement the idea with the help of collaborators.

10. ComputerMD82

ComputerMD82 NX-74205

Reputations:
    Might be time for a repasting!

Curious what you've come up with. We do still use these, ours are pretty good in the noise department, I perform regular maintenance on them. It's funny, I have this, and the XPS 14 Ultrabook, and unless I need the graphics power, I use this one, it's still the best screen I've ever seen on a 14" notebook.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.