---> OFFICIAL: Dell STUDIO 14z Owner's Lounge <---

Discussion in 'Dell' started by poison7fl, May 28, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. knefren

knefren Newbie

Reputations:
    I have a 3 GB Studio 14z, running Windows 7 x64, A03 bios. I purchased a 4GB PNY Optima 204 PIN DDR3 / PC3 8500 SODIMM for the unit. After installation, the laptop doesn't finish posting. The BIOS/startup "temperature gauge" stops at around 75%. I can press <esc>, and the BIOS reports the proper amount of RAM. Pressing F2 to access the bios reports that the bios config is loading, but it never does.

I updated the BIOS to version A04, and tried again. I also reset the BIOS, neither was successful.

This is a CAS 7 SODIMM. Does the 14z require a CAS 9 one instead, or do I have a bad SODIMM? Is there a recommended mfg for memory?

Thanks

2. metadff

metadff Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    You can test if you have a bad memory stick by downloading Memtest86+. There is a usb key version you can use to boot and it will automatically test your memory.

I think the Dell utilities has something similar as well.

3. mikedep333

mikedep333 Newbie

Reputations:
    Whoops, mistaken post.

4. thebestguru333

thebestguru333 Newbie

Reputations:
    I just bought new ram. and I am having the exact same problem. I have not upgraded the bios yet. Did you ever get it to work?

5. Aegwyn11

Aegwyn11 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I've got a T6600 processor. Using RMC, I've got all the voltages set to 0.9250V (100% stable so far). Just updated to A04 bios. Very clean copy of Windows 7 x64 (just installed an Intel 120GB SSD).

Using CPUID Hardware Monitor, I get normal temps of about 55 degrees C. Core 1 is always slightly warmer than core 2. Right now with only Hardware Monitor and this browser open, I'm at 58 and 54 and the fan's whirring away (not super loud, but annoying since I don't have anything open...).

I already tried the "blow the dust" out trick...didn't help at all.

Is this normal for a setup like mine?

Could I lower the temps (and fan noise) with a different CPU? What CPU would be ideal for power consumption and heat?

6. jughernut

jughernut Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi there, anyone know if the 900p screen upgrade is a drop in upgrade? My 720p screen recently gave out (the backlight is dead) and I am looking at the 900p for a replacement.

Would I need to buy anything else to upgrade to the 900p screen or is it just plug and play? Thanks.

7. Fishpony

Fishpony Newbie

Reputations:
    I just picked up a 14z from the outlet to replace my 11z. Trying to decide which one i want to keep and then i'll sell one of them. How good of a deal do you guys think i got?

P8600 cpu
    900p screen
    3GB ram -will throw in a 4gb stick right away
    backlit keyboard
    6 cell battery

Came out to $322

The day before i ordered an 11z dual core to replace my 11z celeron for $249 but then when i saw this 14z i had to order it. Can't decide which one im going to want to keep.

8. Aegwyn11

Aegwyn11 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I just got a 4 GB stick (G-Skill, very good ratings on Newegg FWIW). PC3-10600, CL9-9-9-24. PN F3-10600CL9S-4GBSQ. Put it in and same thing...gets to around 75-80% and stops. Same exact situation across the board.

The Samsung memory (2GB) it came with works fine and dandy. Also works okay with no stick installed (only using the 1GB soldered onto the MB).

I had the IT guy let me try a stick of his memory. 4GB, Crucial CT51264BC1067. Worked just fine...booted right up no problem. Windows saw 5 GB of memory just like it should have.

Seems like this laptop is kind of finicky about what memory you put in it. Disappointing.

9. h37S3M

h37S3M Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I had the same problem. Except that I had the T6500 (I believe). I think the biggest problem with the 14z is the overheating (without the need to undervolt) and it starts to break away at the comp. My wife uses my 14z now, and shes not big into laptop power and such but she wants to throw this laptop out the window. So my guess is that it's a design flaw and there's really nothing that can be done. I've tried AS5 to increase heat transfer but it didn't work. Ultimately, just be prepared to chuck the laptop and to never get a dell again.

10. metadff

metadff Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I have the exact same CPU as you and I am also using RMC to lower the core voltage to 0.925V. With nothing open at the lowest speedstep multiplier, CPUID Hardware Monitor is reading 54C and 55C on cores. The fan occasionally comes on at low speed for a couple minutes at a time. I think this is pretty much normal for this notebook.

When plugged in it seems this notebook is more aggressive with the fan than when running off the battery. You can try to change the "System cooling policy" under the advanced power options from active to passive, though for me it doesn't seem to make a difference.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.