Official Coffee Lake Thread/BIOS For ALL SkyLake/KabyLake Clevo LGA1151 laptops

Discussion in 'Sager and Clevo' started by DaMafiaGamer, Jul 31, 2018.

1. radolf

radolf Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Yes, it's an 8-PIN chip again!? So programming device on and ready!:)
    Z170/270/370 it's all the same!

2. philstopford

philstopford Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    So, can I run the newer EC (1.06) with the older BIOS (1.05)? That's something I'm uncertain about.

3. radolf

Reputations:
    Just try it out! I don't think there are any serious differences between the ECs of the same model, would be strange! One makes anyway a backup of the Rom(EC) or downloads the appropriate Rom(EC)!

4. philstopford

Reputations:
    I am not going to risk breaking the machine at this point in time; I cannot recover the many-pin EC (per the schematic) easily. When the BIOS updated failed, the machine was down for over a week waiting for the programmer to turn up (and the clip for the 8 pin EEPROM) - I had a clear recovery plan (still needed some guidance, it turned out, but I knew the machine wasn't unrecoverable). In contrast, the EC chip looks to be much larger and more complicated (presumably requiring desoldering). That's more than I want to deal with at this point in time - the machine is in active use on a daily basis.

5. radolf

Reputations:
    The Main EC is controlled via the BIOS chip (SPI=GD25B64) and the Second EC via a separate SPI chip (SPI=GD25D10) which I already mentioned! If YOU have a proper programming device, then you don't need to solder!
    Of course I can understand your concerns.
    The version 1.06.01 is of course for your model. If the Second-EC doesn't work either, take your backup and play it on it again!

6. Meaker@Sager

Meaker@Sager Company Representative

Reputations:
    It's really not simple to recover the EC.

7. philstopford

Reputations:
    Off-topic. but I must stress how disappointing it is that Origin (and seemingly most vendors) just wash their hands of all support when a machine changes hands. The machine I have was effectively brand new, but the previous owner had changed their mind about it. Changing ownership didn't remove the money paid to Origin from their pockets and didn't instantly cause the machine to burst into flames or result in any warranty or support demands. At this point in time, all I really want is a BIOS/EC update that is expected to work on this hardware - they simply won't make that available (at any price, it seems). It's infuriating on a number of levels - I'm happy to pay a reasonable sum, but can't get anywhere with them or anyone else that ships similar hardware.

8. Tulius

Tulius Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Can I use this BIOS while using a 7700K at 4.2Ghz(stock)? Because Coffee Lake mod bios will decrease the 7700K stock clock at 3.4Ghz.

P870DM2_DM3 notebook

9. Meaker@Sager

Meaker@Sager Company Representative

Reputations:
    If it has a Sager S/N we can provide firmware.

10. Hd172

Hd172 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Does this mod replace my Prema BIOS or does it just make it so that i can run the new CPU? Also can i uninstall Intel management updates or am i out of luck since Ive been updating everything with Obsidian driver tool?