Official Coffee Lake Thread/BIOS For ALL SkyLake/KabyLake Clevo LGA1151 laptops

Discussion in 'Sager and Clevo' started by DaMafiaGamer, Jul 31, 2018.

1. philstopford

philstopford Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    @radolf: Yes the hardware programmer verified correct write at each stage. No issues were reported for any of the BIOSes

2. radolf

radolf Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    That's not what I meant! You really have to rule out any source of error. Therefore I recommend you to check the read out Bios with the original BiosMod file after each reading procedure afterwards with a Hexeditor!!!!!!

HexEditor Link:

https://mh-nexus.de/downloads/HxDSetup.zip

3. philstopford

Reputations:
    Given that I could readily write back the original BIOS on multiple occasions, I don't really think that's the problem here. For example, after the initial recovery of the machine, I did write (using the hardware programmer) both the Coffee Lake and Cannon Lake BIOS files to the EEPROM. Each one failed, and in between I could recover the machine using the backup BIOS with the hardware programmer. I tried a few times (since I had the machine open) for each case, and they always failed and the backup BIOS worked every single time.

So, I really don't think there was a programming error - the backup BIOS would have failed at some point as well, but never did.

It seems more likely that there is an incompatibility

4. radolf

Reputations:
    Okay, I couldn't read that from your posts now. I thought you didn't make the laptop work after Bios-Mod Flash!

5. radolf

Reputations:
    You also made sure that there are two versions for your model? Surely you took the version without the addition Maxwell.

There were also several problems with the panel and CPU support. Maybe the Second EC really needs to be updated first!

Last edited: Jan 18, 2019
  6. philstopford

Reputations:
    @radolf : Sure, I took the non-Maxwell one.

I've no idea how to update the EC, or where to find such an update (or how much risk would be involved).

7. radolf

Reputations:
    Also you have to check if your programmer supports the SPI-CHip(GD25D10B)?
    If the wiring diagram is correct! You have to look at the chip again! You can try this version 1.06.01 times! It does not say that it is only for (-G). Maybe it goes with it...
    Here is a link from the last EC, but only what I know!

https://repo.palkeo.com/clevo-mirror/P7xxDM23G/P7xxDMx_2nd_EC10601.zip

What else I wanted to ask, which GOP version had your GTX1060 before the update?

Last edited: Jan 18, 2019
  8. nekomew

nekomew Newbie

Reputations:
    P750DM-G with gtx980m User here. My laptop currently is installed with the i5-6600K. And after I flashed the coffee-lake bios mod successfully, there is no image on the screen but the fans and hard drive are running. Should i try install the i5-8400 to see if it still able to boot. or the motherboard bios chip (GD25B64bSIGR) have to be flash via CH341A programmer?

and one more question, do i actually need to isolate the 2 pins? I am abit confused by that part of the instructions.

many thanks.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2019
  9. philstopford

Reputations:
    Per the BIOS provider, it should support the existing CPU in your system (the BIOS just adds the support for the newer chips). I think this is another confirmation that there's some kind of incompatibility between the BIOS and some P750-DM / P750-DM2 (also G) systems (there are 3 reports that I can think of, including mine).

Also per the original poster, you'll need a hardware programmer to recover the machine (I hope you backed up the BIOS safely before you wrote the new one)

Mapl and nekomew like this.
  10. nekomew

nekomew Newbie

Reputations:
    I did backed up the previous bios before i wrote this one. But it is backed up by the software EFI, does that mean i can hardware reprogram the chip by using backup.bin file? My CH341A also seem to have difficulty detecting the chip.

Which software and hardware do u use for programming the chip? not sure if CH341A able to do the job using the skypro usb software.

Sorry, i am kinda a newbie here.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2019