Official Coffee Lake Thread/BIOS For ALL SkyLake/KabyLake Clevo LGA1151 laptops

Discussion in 'Sager and Clevo' started by DaMafiaGamer, Jul 31, 2018.

1. philstopford

philstopford Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    @radolf : yes. With the software programmer, and also with the hardware programmer, no errors were ever reported. Writing back the original backup was also fine. Once I had the hardware programmer available, I tried several times with each of the Cannon Lake and Coffee Lake BIOSes and neither would apply without a black screen. The original BIOS could be easily restored, so I would find it very difficult to believe the programming approach was flawed.

The VBIOS update also took (through software) without any issue.

The only thing I can think of is the ME tool from Prema, which was used a while back. I'm not sure whether that might explain what is going on - the mechanisms there aren't clear to me at all.

2. radolf

radolf Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:

Please write again what YOU have done exactly and which laptop YOU have!?
    Maybe this tool from Prema(ME-Tool) has achieved something. What should this tool be intended for?

3. philstopford

Reputations:
    @radolf: Here's Prema's tool for the ME situation http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/important-security-updates.811312/

I ran this at the time, largely because I have no vendor support for my machine (second owner) so get no firmware updates of any kind from them.

For the BIOS topic, I don't remember which I tried first (Cannon Lake or Coffee Lake). I did apply the VBIOS update for my GTX 1060, as instructed, which applied with no trouble. I then applied the BIOS update using the software tool, following the instructions carefully. I took a backup of the original BIOS at the time, and have that stored safely.

The software BIOS attempt failed, leaving me with a black screen at power on. I got hold of a SkyPro II USB programmer and clip and wrote the backup BIOS back to the EEPROM. This recovered the machine. For the sake of it, I then retried the BIOS update using the Coffee Lake and Cannon Lake files, each time using the one seemingly intended for the P750DM2G era machine. Neither approach worked (although the programmer indicated success, and it manages to write back the original BIOS without any trouble).

It was a while ago, so specifics escape me about which precise files and what order. I'm not currently minded to take the thing apart and try again, though.

Mapl likes this.
  4. radolf

Reputations:
    I understand your execution as follows: You wanted to update your Vbios of your map to GOP version 0x30006. Then you made the Coffee/Canon-Lake Bios update. After that your laptop didn't work anymore. Is that right?

An error may have occurred during the first reading of the Vbios! Then you always flash a faulty file (backup), is one possibility.

Did you flash the Second EC?

Do you remember if you are using EC version 1.06.01?

Last edited: Jan 17, 2019
  5. philstopford

Reputations:
    @radolf : The VBIOS was updated to 0x3000A, I think. The laptop was working fine after this (and indeed is running this VBIOS right now without problem, with the restored original BIOS).

It was only failing to work when I tried to write the Cannon Lake / Coffee Lake BIOS.

I'm not sure what EC version I am running, and didn't find anything around to update it. I just used the files provided in the BIOS packages, and the instructions in each case. They don't appear to have EC related files, so if there's a recommended (and known to work) EC update around, I'd be somewhat interested in it (along with recovery options in case the update fails or breaks something else)

6. radolf

Reputations:
    So, if you really updated your Vbios to 0x3000A, then it should work! 0x30006 is older and 0x3000A younger....
    But if you're not sure if you updated to 0x3000A, then it might be the reason why it doesn't work.

Despite the above, errors may still have occurred while reading the Vbios rom and you have been working with a supposedly bug-free rom all along!
    The EC-ROM was just a question, it's not that important. But I would flash the last official ROM if you tried it again!

Here is a list of most GOP versions:

https://www.win-raid.com/t892f16-AMD-and-Nvidia-GOP-update-No-requests-DIY.html#msg15730

7. philstopford

Reputations:
    The 'I think' was a hedge as I know I updated. The package has 0x3000A, but I couldn't see a corresponding string in the device properties to confirm.

8. radolf

Reputations:
    What was important was that you really checked the string. This tool would have been important! Check_GOP_Version.bat
    This mini program is included in the Coffee/Cannonlake Bios Mod package...

9. philstopford

Reputations:
    @radolf : that does indeed show 0x3000A in the output. So, we're back to head-scratching about why the newer BIOS (Coffee Lake / Cannon Lake) won't apply to this system without a black screen. :)

10. radolf

Reputations:
    Okay!

Did YOU really use your programming device to read and check the new BIOS several times with BIOS in the package Coffee/Cannonlake Bios Mod? The best way to check is to use a hex editor.
    You close the software for the programming device, then start it again and repeat the procedure. With each read you check with the Hexeditor with Bios from the Bios-Mod file.