Official Coffee Lake Thread/BIOS For ALL SkyLake/KabyLake Clevo LGA1151 laptops

Discussion in 'Sager and Clevo' started by DaMafiaGamer, Jul 31, 2018.

1. Fightar

Fightar Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Could the vbios flash be the cause of this issue? I've run out moves here.

2. yrekabakery

yrekabakery Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Try flashing a Clevo GTX 1060 vBIOS from an 8th gen system.

3. Fightar

Fightar Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Do you know where I could find those?

4. yrekabakery

yrekabakery Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
  5. Fightar

Fightar Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Trying to flash back to my old bios now and I'm just getting a "romid is not compatible with existing bios romid"

Update 1: Managed to somehow get my bios downgraded to an old version but my vbios is still screwed up
    and I somehow managed to mess up my original backup so it's gone. Because I'm stupid.
    Now I'm in a blind hunt trying to find vbios for a laptop that clearly nobody else owns.

Update 2: Finally found one that worked and the error 43 disappeared. I guess PCI ID's are kind of important, huh? :rolleyes:

Update 3: Gentlemen we have liftoff. Went for round 2 on the bios flash with the correct vbios this time and everything went good with no error 43.

Update 4: So, for reference, if you have a Clevo N950KP6, also known as a Sager NP7950, I would suggest not using the vbios provided in the download on the first page. I think the problem was with the device ID. The vbios for the N950KP6 needs vbios with device ID 10DE 1C20, whereas I think the ones provided, and most of the vbios out there for the 1060, use device ID 10DE 1C60. Again, that's just a theory and following that theory worked this time after two straight days of banging my head against it thinking I'd bricked my GPU. The lesson here is the importance of making backups and ENSURING that you actually did it. Would have saved me a lot of headache.

Sorry to be so chatty and turn this thread into my blog for a while there but I just don't want to be "that guy" that just goes "I figured it out" without any explanation as to how and then years later someone finds this thread with this exact problem but no answers.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2018
    TheLuddite, steberg, MrClippy and 3 others like this.
  6. philstopford

philstopford Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Not that it would seem to affect me (I'm still bracing for a roll of the dice in the BIOS upgrade), but it might be useful to note where you found the VBIOS that saved you, also for any others that get bitten by this :)

jaybee83 likes this.
  7. MrClippy

MrClippy Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    G-sync is still working for me. But mine is the P870DM3-G

8. clevo-extreme

clevo-extreme Company Representative

Reputations:
    i7-9700K and i9-9900K doesnt work on dm2/3 and p870km with this bios unfortunatelly - need update maybe - hard to say

9. jaybee83

jaybee83 Biotech-Doc

Reputations:
  10. philstopford

philstopford Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    OK,so the BIOS update left me with a black screen. I can't find board schematics for the P750DM2G so would like to find out where the BIOS chip is located on this board. The Clevo service manual that I could find seems to also have stupidly small pictures so knowing what needs to be taken apart would be good as well.

Any help would be welcome.

I wouldn't have really gone down this path, but since I'm the second system owner, Origin cut me off from updates and the BIOS was at least one major revision behind current.