Official Coffee Lake Refresh Thread/BIOS For P7xxDM(x), P870DM(x)/KM & N95xKP6 laptops

Discussion in 'Sager and Clevo' started by DaMafiaGamer, Oct 25, 2018.

1. Rahego

Rahego Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    @MrClippy could you share your screen display model?

I wondering why some machines (mostly DM3) keeps g-sync with this mode, and some do not(KMx) . Is it connected to screen model or something else?

Mode is awesome, but if it could work with g-sync, than it would be perfect. It's hard to go back to screen tearing in games after playing while with g-sync

2. Meaker@Sager

Meaker@Sager Company Representative

Reputations:
    Screen model does need to match the shipping white list yes.

3. clevo-extreme

clevo-extreme Company Representative

Reputations:
    Uhd 4k is fully compatible with gsync and mod bios.

Fastest Customizable Gaming Notebooks & Mobile Workstations | CLEVO System Integrator

Rahego and bennyg like this.
  4. MrClippy

MrClippy Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I believe it was the B173QTN01.4, which came with the P870dm2/P870dm3 when they initially launched with 120hz 1440p displays.

Also wanted to add that @dsanke 's BIOS has waaaay more options compared to the original stock BIOS.

Also the headphone jack somehow switched places so the old jack closest to the front now is S/PDIF and all are using Microsoft audio.

5. MrClippy

MrClippy Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I'd check your Turbo boost TDP or Power max.

6. Stev Master

Stev Master Newbie

Reputations:
    I´ve set Power Limit 1 to 150000 and Power Limit 2 to 151000

7. bennyg

bennyg Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    B173QTN01.0 on DM3 launch - note it has the banding issue which B173QTN01.4 revision supposedly fixes (look up images/YouTube)

Expand the hwinfo section with all the CPU/platform throttle flags. It's probably iccmax or cache iccmax which is tricky to isolate due to complex throttle flag names but both can be to tested on the fly in Throttlestop to see if raising them helps

8. Rahego

Reputations:
    Ok - so there are 3x choices -

First -
    17.3" 3K QHD (2560x1440) AUO 120Hz - 5ms - LED Matte Type Display - w/ nVIDIA® G-SYNC™ Technology(B173QTN01.0) - mentioned by @bennyg

Second -
    17.3" 3K QHD (2560x1440) AUO 120Hz - 5ms - LED Matte Type Display (B173QTN01.4) - mentioned by @MrClippy

Third -
    17.3" 4K QFHD (3840x2160) AUO LED Matte Type Display - w/ nVIDIA® G-SYNC™ Technology - mentioned by @clevo-extreme

Fourth -
    17.3" Full HD (1920x1080) 144Hz~9ms IPS-level 72% NTSC Matte Type Display - w/ nVIDIA® G-SYNC™ Technology (B173HAN03.1)

Best option for gaming orientated user would be Fourth option - which have G-sync and 144hz. Could anyone confirm that it works with mod? I believe all of em should work fine since they're options for P870TM1 model (which is mod adapted).

Reason why P870KM1-G is loosing G-sync is coz screen 75 hz LG LGD046E (LP173WF4 SPF1) is not supported further in P870TM model.(and probably will never be since why someone would use 75hz FHD screen instead of superior 120hz QHD one).

PS. It's worthy to mention that First and Second option is TN panel (worse viewing angles and possible banding).

Last edited: Dec 28, 2018
  9. Meaker@Sager

Meaker@Sager Company Representative

Reputations:
    Only screens that the machine shipped with g-sync enabled will keep g-sync. A newer panel will work but not have g-sync.

10. Rahego

Reputations:
    Can you explain this a bit further?

Afaik to be able to use g-sync there must be:
    Ngreedia G-sync supporting GPU
    Ngreedia G-sync supporting Screen
    Correct bios that is supporting Screen and GPU.

This bios is not supporting screen that i currently have in laptop. But if i would switch it to the supported one (by bios and with g-sync itself) - g-sync should be back. Or am i getting it wrong?

bennyg likes this.