Official Coffee Lake Refresh Thread/BIOS for ALL Clevo Laptops - RTX CARDS NOW SUPPORTED

Discussion in 'Sager and Clevo' started by DaMafiaGamer, Oct 25, 2018.

1. bennyg

bennyg Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Actually, stock automatic fan control was the opposite, it'd only spin to 49% duty cycle even when thermal throttling...

Compared to an OC 6700K, no worse. Max fans loud is still max fans loud.

I don't have CCC installed, I use Obsidian tools including Fan Control, with a ramping curve, and I haven't noticed it being any louder overall because
    - my custom fan curve is set up to prioritise noise below about 60C which means without the water line active it all 3 (CPU + 2xGPU) idle at about 50C
    - the same single/low thread loads use roughly the same power so sit at the same temp/fan% levels
    - multithread loads that put a serious load on the CPU still spin the fan to full, but a fixed workload is completed faster

I find temperature changes on the CPU are less drastic than the 6700K too

The few games I've played are very similar temps and noise levels, 65-70C on Mankind Divided (frame cap 4K 58fps), low 50s in factorio (single thread 2d game)

2. ScruffyITA

ScruffyITA Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    hello again the i5 8400 cpu for my p870km was out of stock. if i order an i5 8600k or i5 9600k for almost same price, will it throttle or reach too high temperature ? my heatsink is the standard p870km 3 pipe.

i will not do overclock, but use default setting with maybe some undervolt like -75mv or -80mv .

3. clevo-extreme

clevo-extreme Company Representative

Reputations:
    I think Delided i5-8600k is better choice. You can give -100 or maybe - 125 UV. Everything depend from CPU.

Fastest Customizable Gaming Notebooks & Mobile Workstations | CLEVO System Integrator

4. Pagis

Pagis Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Would also like to hear ppls opinion on which CPU would be the best for stable work with no overheating problems - 9700k or 9900k?

5. jaybee83

jaybee83 Biotech-Doc

Reputations:
    9900K all the way. just dial in the maximum stable clocks and voltages your heatsink can manage and profit from 8 cores with HT :)

6. yrekabakery

yrekabakery Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    A binned 8700K or an 8086K (delidded either way ofc) with upgraded heatsinks from the P775TM1 would be your best bet.

He has the P775DM3, the heatsink on that thing could barely cool the 6th/7th gen quad cores, let alone Coffee Lake 6-8 cores.

7. jaybee83

jaybee83 Biotech-Doc

Reputations:
    Always depends what you do with what u got :) its a unified heatsink so u can use the extra cooling capacity from the GPU side when its not in use. load during games should be lower than application specific loads, anyways. then use a high performance thermal paste (kryonat or LM), get urself a binned chip and be sure its delidded with LM between die and IHS.

from what ive seen so far, the P7 series could indeed take on 9900Ks at around 4.4-4.5 ghz all cores (properly tuned and voltage optimized) with higher clocks at lower core usage possible :) thats actually my upgrade plan :D

8. yrekabakery

yrekabakery Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    The DM3's unified heatsink was pretty sub-par though, it makes poor contact even with the toothpick mod and doesn't get much help from the GPU fan since there are still only 3 heatpipes going over the CPU. The P775TM1's split design is an improvement all-around, makes better contact and doesn't suffer from the heat bleed problem under combined load.

Good luck with your upgrade plan. I feel that while it might be feasible in short CB runs in a cold environment, extended rendering workloads or AVX would push it over the edge. You'd also need to do something about the fans because the old 5V fans just aren't powerful enough even at max speed for these higher core count chips. Idk if the 12V ADDA fans would fit on your unit.

bennyg and jaybee83 like this.
  9. jaybee83

jaybee83 Biotech-Doc

Reputations:
    ill be sure to keep you guys in the loop once my upgrade plan is initiated. i am curious myself at what kinda all core clocks id be able to squeeze out a highly binned chip in my unit ;) staying optimistic though for the time being and keeping an eye out on 9900K power usage during heavy loads. only recently, brother @Falkentyne demonstrated a 125W power consumption with his 9900K set to 4.5 Ghz during p95 1344k avx loads, which would actually be right spot on for my CPU thermal headroom ;)

Last edited: Nov 21, 2018
  10. Falkentyne

Falkentyne Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    I set my 9900K to HT off, 4.9 ghz and 1.25v.

Prime95 small FFT with 8 cores, 8 threads with AVX enabled had a max power draw of 175W.
    (CPUSupportsAVX=1 and CPUSupportsFMA3=0 in local.txt in the prime95 folder).

dsanke, ole!!! and jaybee83 like this.