Official Coffee Lake Refresh Thread/BIOS for ALL Clevo Laptops - RTX CARDS NOW SUPPORTED

Discussion in 'Sager and Clevo' started by DaMafiaGamer, Oct 25, 2018.

1. Pagis

Pagis Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    What do you mean it don't boot? So, after upgrading with 9900k it stopped to boot or what?

2. clevo-extreme

clevo-extreme Company Representative

Reputations:
    After bios flashing in P870DM-G notebook don't boot anymore...

Fastest Customizable Gaming Notebooks & Mobile Workstations | CLEVO System Integrator

3. DaMafiaGamer

DaMafiaGamer Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    My p870dmg booted with a 9900k, I tried it once more after bios flash as friend wanted me to delid it... Sad to say that thermals were absolute trash. 90c at 3.2ghz, thats below its base clock speed!

I recommend not putting an i9 in your machine without proper cooling! Unless you want your CPU running at 800mhz when gaming lol.

P870tmq heatsink will be needed. I will order it now, so in the future when I upgrade to an i9 I know that I won't have throttling issues. If only vapour chamber cpu heatsink existed...

4. Johnksss

Johnksss .

Reputations:
  5. bennyg

bennyg Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    No, still on DM3 premabios EC
    Yes, still have gsync :)

Being only 5% behind that, with things still in such a raw state, is way ahead of where I thought I'd be.

The one @ole tried is what I might consider if a "moar heatpipe" heatsink doesn't yield acceptable results. Unfortunately it's aluminium so that not only means no liquid metal but soldering anything to it is also harder

ole!!! and Rahego like this.
  6. Johnksss

Johnksss .

Reputations:
    With your water cooling mod's and radiator and extra heatsinks and solder, I thought you would be 10% higher....

7. clevo-extreme

clevo-extreme Company Representative

Reputations:
    We have tried with i5-8400.

Fastest Customizable Gaming Notebooks & Mobile Workstations | CLEVO System Integrator

8. bennyg

bennyg Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    The CPU heatsink is still the stock 3 pipe DM3, the copper block is only contacting with a big strip of thermal pad on top of the CPU heatpipes. It helps, but only by a maximum of 50W (i.e. with the CPU fan off, it can cool a 50W CPU load by itself to just below thermal throttle), so I doubt my setup is any better than the stock TM CPU heatsink.

50W is pitiful by watercooling standards, and always will be while it's connected only by thermal pads, which it has to be unfortunately, due to the overlap of the two heatsinks.

I'm planning to add heatpipes because from what I've read my calculated guesstimate of Qmax (maximum heat transfer capacity) of all the heatpipes comes out not much over 100W which means they just can't shift enough heat to where it's removed (to air/water)

9. Johnksss

Johnksss .

Reputations:
    The main problem I see with your idea is you need to convert it to a TM1 If you do that, then your idea will come together.
    This 6 pound LN2 block is sitting flat on TM1 heat sink.
    20181117_212819_rs.jpg 20181117_212812.jpg This would give you 100% contact.

Then mod the VC with a long copper water block and possibly remove the heat pipes marked in green to allow for your water pipes to run and use both fans to help cool it.
    Speculations of course...
    alrvw4.jpg

Last edited: Nov 18, 2018
    jaybee83 likes this.
  10. MrClippy

MrClippy Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    >2000 on cinebench is pretty impressive. How are the fan noise during normal use? Someone said before that the fans are more aggressive in ramping up.