Official Coffee Lake Refresh Thread/BIOS for ALL Clevo Laptops - RTX CARDS NOW SUPPORTED

Discussion in 'Sager and Clevo' started by DaMafiaGamer, Oct 25, 2018.

1. bennyg

bennyg Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    no. The OP had all the instructions I needed. Even the isolating of the pins with 1mm^2 bits of Kapton tape took less time than I thought. I spent about half a day extra doing a complete disassembly to get a SPI programmer read of the bios chip and seeing if the updated vbios would work with old cpu and bios

DaMafiaGamer likes this.
  2. Pagis

Pagis Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    bennyg

Gotcha! Is the spi/bios chip programming is necessary? Or you can just do everything from flash card like in OPpost?

3. bennyg

bennyg Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Ultimately it wasn't required, it worked first time flashing off the bootable USB key.

I wanted a backup directly off the chip before I started in case I needed to revert from a complete brick scenario

jaybee83 and DaMafiaGamer like this.
  4. DaMafiaGamer

DaMafiaGamer Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Nice to know that the usb method works, personally I opened up my clevo to put another 4k screen in I just flashed the new bios and that was it. Its less hassle and it works 100% of the time if done correctly.

5. ScruffyITA

ScruffyITA Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    in these days im getting an i5 8400 for my p870km. what bios is the best for it ? the one on this thread or the other coffee lake bios in the other thread ?

also is my cpu heatsink enought to dissipate a 95 watt cpu? i chosed the 8400 because its 65 watt like my actual i5 6600 and cpu temp got max 75°.

also i have 2 230watt psu. with one i5 6600 and gtx 1070 im using a single 230watt. with a 95 watt cpu ill need to use both 230 watt ?

6. bennyg

bennyg Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    This one's for the "9th gen", you're better off looking at the 8th gen Coffee Lake bios thread:
    http://forum.notebookreview.com/thr...kylake-kabylake-clevo-lga1151-laptops.821694/

The P870 heatsink is utter overkill for a "65W" CPU. The most I ever saw the i5-8400 with a -100mV undervolt in my brother's N950TP consume was ~55W at maximum turbo, 4.0ghz 6 core.

7. Meaker@Sager

Meaker@Sager Company Representative

Reputations:
    It's still a nice boost over the mobile chips at that speed though.

8. bennyg

bennyg Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Some preliminary results

Firestrike physics: ~24500
    Timespy physics: ~10650
    Cinebench R15: 2025cb best so far (set to 4.9ghz at - 50mV, but VR Current Limit keeps it yoyoing between 4.75 and 4.85ghz)

The rest are at stock multipliers (so 4.7 all core), 150W power limit, -100mV undervolt, max fans, and the watercooling mod too (for now it's a thermal pad between the waterblock sitting on top of the CPU heatsink heatpipes. When the WC is on and the VC heatsink is cooled to about 20C, it really makes a difference and allows a 150W power draw to not thermal throttle.

Overall benches are rubbish, the GPUs are performing about 20% below stock on firestrike which is an issue I had before the CPU swap. Still have to flash proper power modded vbios on both

On air only it's a writeoff and about 100W is the max. The stock heatsink is *severely* thermally limiting to I'm guessing nobody's surprise. The 3 heatpipes just aren't enough to shift above about 120W of heat.

All my extra heatpipes have finally arrived and I can start building something better. I think I can fit 5, maybe 6 heatpipes on the heatplate after grinding down the various bumps and ridges. Trying to spread the heat to the GPU vapour chamber as much as possible to have 3 fans cool the CPU-only power draw.

It's a +90% to +95% multithread improvement on the overclocked 6700K that it replaced under a 150W limit, at about the same temperatures. At the same power draw it's a good 20C cooler than the LM-delidded LM-ontop 6700K which must be due to the lower thermal density of the larger die. And right now this 9900K right now only has EK paste (Ectotherm) too

x49 seemed ok for a short time until the throttles kicked in

Gaming is fine, steady 60fps on Mankind Divided @ 4K with a CPU temp in the 60s/70s. My 30-40 tabs in chrome open in a flash, really noticeable improvement there and in opening big excel spreadsheets and the little bit of video editing I did yesterday too.

imgur album with pics: https://imgur.com/a/5KGh9bk

Last edited: Nov 17, 2018
    jaybee83 likes this.
  9. Rahego

Rahego Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    @bennyg great results. Did you flash P870TM's EC? And what about G-sync. Is it still working?

10. clevo-extreme

clevo-extreme Company Representative

Reputations:
    Did you see our results? Everything on stock - without limits and watercooling - with single heatsink... Everything depend from Configuration. We have on p870dm3-g gsync on uhd display. For example P870DM-G don't boot anymore... On km works everything good. My tip is 8th cpu up to max i7-8086K because 9th generation Intel cpu is totally crap!

Fastest Customizable Gaming Notebooks & Mobile Workstations | CLEVO System Integrator

theangelofspace15 and bennyg like this.