Official Coffee Lake Refresh Thread/BIOS for ALL Clevo Laptops - RTX CARDS NOW SUPPORTED

Discussion in 'Sager and Clevo' started by DaMafiaGamer, Oct 25, 2018.

1. Gascio

Gascio Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hello everyone.
    I'm writing to give you an update about my upgrade, in case someone is interested. As for the ram Xmp profile issue I wrote about a couple of pages back, I noticed that I could make it work with Xmp enabled using slots 1-3 (single channel), while I kept having BSOD using slots 1-2 in the very few times I was able to boot it.
    Started to suspect problems with dual channel. On the Internet everything I found pointed at a bent pin or a malfunction of the mobo. Disassembled the laptop, took out the cpu, examined the pins on the mobo, everything looked good. On the back of the cpu one of the pads was dirty with a tiny bit of thermal paste (no idea how it got there). Cleaned it with some alcohol. Now it seems dual channel is working again, but since I am too tired now to test again Xmp profiles, I left the Ram on default profile (it's a 2666mhz cl19 so still a decently fast ram).

joluke likes this.
  2. Gascio

Reputations:
    I could still use your help though. I'm having minor issues with my screen.
    I installed the 1.07.15 bios on a LP173WF4-SPF1. I knew I would have lost Gsync and lowered the refresh rate to 60, so tried to overclock screen back to the native 75 hz using Nvidia control panel (didn't care about Gsync too much. Only game I play is COD:MW3 and I use a 60 fps cap).
    Here's my problems:
    1) 60fps: while playing I have screen tearing similar to the pic. The only difference is that in my case I don't have a screen divided in 2 like in the pic. I have a tight horizontal band where the image is shifted. Image if the girl in the pic had only her eyes shifted on the side and everything above is lined up with her mouth and the neck.

2) 75fps: the screen skips some frames

3) everything between 60/65 gives me some (minor luckily) problems while gaming. The image is not very stable. The objects' borders are a bit flickery. The brightness is OK, but the objects' contours are unsteady.
    Now I think (I really hope so, didn't test enough but so far it seems to work finger crossed) I solved everything by keeping the screen at 60 hz and enabling vsync.
    I installed the 1.07.15 bios because I thought it wouldn't have made such a difference and I would have got rtx support in case I buy one in the future. Did I make the wrong choice to install 1.07.15? I'd like to know if switching back to 1.05.11 (so losing rtx support which I don't currently use for my gtx 1080) might be helpful to get rid of these issues in case I try to overclock the screen again to its native 75hz.

PS i have tried to explain the screen issues I am having as clearly as possible, I don't know if I made myself clear enough though. I am not an English native speaker so I tried my best.

Attached Files:

3. joluke

joluke Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Have you tried other games to see if the issue occurs?
    How are you temperatures? Have you tried enabling g-sync since it avoids the tearing?
    Did you enable in-game v-sync to avoid the tearing?
    Which drivers are you using for nvidia?
    Enabling g-sync would prevent the tearing from happening and you would avoid posting here :)

Gascio likes this.
  4. runix18

runix18 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Managed to do easy 90hz oberclock with the exact same display(no gsync). No frame skips also. Always vsync on due to loss of gsync.

Gascio and joluke like this.
  5. Gascio

Reputations:
    No, COD is the only game installed. I'll try also with 3d benchmarks, but it's not a COD issue as if I push the screen at 70hz I notice that images gets a bit blurry also on desktop. Temperatures are great. GPU consistently in the 65 area now, it used to be 65/70 before.
    As I said I lost Gsync and am currently using vsync to avoid tearing.
    Used both 496.76 and then rolled back to 466.47 which were the ones I had before the mod. No difference, as soon as I try the slightest screen overclock the images gets unstable while playing.

Can I ask you what GPU and bios version are you currently on?

Thank you guys, appreciate your help.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2021
    joluke likes this.
  6. Meaker@Sager

Meaker@Sager Company Representative

Reputations:
    Just remember that no two panels will clock the same much like any two examples of the exact same CPU.

Gascio, Papusan and joluke like this.
  7. runix18

runix18 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    1.05.11 dsanke / gtx 1080. But is nit about bios, it always worked (gsync or not)

Gascio likes this.
  8. thanthien867

thanthien867 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hello again,

I'm planning for a RTX upgrade
    1. I've found on ebay some RTX2080 Upgrade kit. The vendor says it's for P775TM1 (which is normal). Can I use it with this bios mod (I have a 9900K in a P775DM3G, Bios 1.07.29) ?
    2. The price seems a bit excessive to me. About 1400e / kit for RTX2080. Does it worth it or not ? As of now I have a GTX 1080 on stock (no vbios mod, no voltage curve mod).
    3. I haven't found anything outside ebay. clevo-computer.com has had some kit (I suppose) but they already ran out of stock. And on Eurocom it was too expensive for me.
    4. Will it be a simple plug and play ? replace the card and the compatible heatsink and it will work ?

Thank you all for reading.

9. Meaker@Sager

Meaker@Sager Company Representative

Reputations:
    You need the BIOS and heatsink but otherwise the card will work. You'll need to use nvcleaninstall to get drivers on it too.

10. joluke

joluke Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    On ebay search for the user:" upgradeyourlaptop". It's Eurocom there.
    Yes you need dsanke BIOS but it will work.
    Yes laptop gpu's are way more expensive than desktop but the pricing is normal