Official Coffee Lake Refresh Thread/BIOS for ALL Clevo Laptops - RTX CARDS NOW SUPPORTED

Discussion in 'Sager and Clevo' started by DaMafiaGamer, Oct 25, 2018.

1. The_Overseer

The_Overseer Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Also, with my experiences, I've come up with a theory about MXM compatibility issues.

I'll post it here, but probably copy it to relevant places later.

So, BGA1440 CPUs with the correct microcode work perfectly on Kaby Lake hardware. However, this is ONLY possible if Management Engine is is disabled, according to Coffeetime.

I also own a Zbook 17 G3/4 (I swapped the motherboard), and I called customer support once. I didn't tell them my Serial and used a phone I normally don't, but I told them a little about what I was doing with the whole MXM thing and trying to fix it after a GPU had "died" (It didn't, lol)

I was told that a lot of the hardware verification was handled by Management Engine, just like people have run into. Recently, I thought back to a much older device, the Elitebook 8770W. It has an alternate BIOS called Coreboot. Many *many* cards don't work on it with normal firmware, but with Coreboot, it can load cards you normally can't. For example, the AMD WX 7100.

And this change happened by nothing more than loading Coreboot which, you guessed it, has the capability to disable Intel ME, per my research.

So...I had a theory. What if you took a 6th/7th gen laptop with a BGA chip (Believe it or not this works in Coffeetime - I checked loading an HP Omen bios) or Socket with a MXM slot, and disabled the HAP bit to turn off Intel Management engine. Would this bypass the MXM restrictions that the community ended up dealing with for so long, just like it opens up Coffee Lake Xeon and 1440 CPUs on Kaby Lake?

I'd like to try it myself, but Zbook Laptops use a system called Sure Start, so I can't try it with my current. I'll have to look into a Clevo laptop or one from another brand to test my theory, but yeah. Just a thought. Has anyone ever tried before or seen it attempted?

I'm aware the EC is also involved with this problem on older laptops, but yeah. Very curious.

joluke likes this.
  2. razor0601

razor0601 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Quick overview: I have flashed 5 Clevos. P751DM2-G, P771DM, P771DM-G, P870DM2-G and P870TM-GS.
    P751DM2-G, P771DM and P870TM-GS worked directly after flashing via USB. The other 2 I had to reflash via CH341 Programmer.
    I flashed exactly with the same USB-Device and with the same steps.
    Why do some clevos not work with the flashing procedure?

3. joluke

joluke Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    You need to take out the battery and in the end of flashing when you see the message: Flash was sucessfull". Pull the cord in the back of the chassis and avoid ME being flashed. That's what happened, ME was flashed and prevented the laptop from booting. The instructions in OP mention it and I believe that was what happened

4. razor0601

Reputations:
    I always took out the battery. After successful there is never a message that me will be update.

Attached Files:

5. joluke

joluke Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    You don't have a message. Pull the cord in that message and wait 30 seconds and it should work. I do that in my P775DM3-G and it works great

6. razor0601

Reputations:
    Ah ok, maybe I wait too long.

joluke likes this.
  7. joluke

joluke Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Nah. It won't move from that command. Fpt will only flash the bios. Not mess with anything else. If you don't take out the battery, ME will be flashed once you boot the device after flash. Pulling the cord avoids that and ME isn't flashed at all

8. razor0601

Reputations:
    You mean the normal battery not the Bios battery?

joluke likes this.
  9. joluke

joluke Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Yes the laptop battery of course. Not the bios lol. Don't disconnect that one

10. razor0601

Reputations:
    Then I did everything right.

joluke likes this.