Official Coffee Lake Refresh Thread/BIOS for ALL Clevo Laptops - RTX CARDS NOW SUPPORTED

Discussion in 'Sager and Clevo' started by DaMafiaGamer, Oct 25, 2018.

1. MrClippy

MrClippy Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    If you have a delidded 7700K, I don't think a delidded 8700K would be that much cooler unless you win the silicon lottery and undervolt the ever-loving watts out of it. At stock, no matter how many plus there is to the 14nm+++, it's still 2 more cores and will be pushing out more heat. For gaming, the 8700K would see some gains but will definitely be better future proofing compared to the 7700K. I'm not sure about emulation, but if it's like VMs, the 9900K would definitely be better.

I'd only advocate a 9900K for developers/video editors and others that would greatly benefit from more cores. Even when limited at 4.5 - 4.6 Ghz all turbo, the 9th gen CPU will beat an AMD equivalent in multicore workloads, and if you tinker enough in dsanke's awesome feature-filled BIOS, you can hit 5.0Ghz easily for up to 4 cores with undervolting making mixed workloads very feasible without setting on fire (I could never hit 4-core 5.0 Ghz on my 7700K delidded, but a 9900K can? RNG is not fun). Need to compile code while baking lighting in whatever render or engine you're working on? Easy. Switching gears to when it's idling, staring at a webpage, or visual studio, the CPU only draws around 8-12 watts so can be very power efficient (though this applies to the 8700K as well).

But for the average gamers here, an 8700K will be more than enough for your needs. A 9900K would be a good future upgrade to look forward to once the price drops a good hundred bucks or so. Which if the past Intel CPUs are any indication, won't be for a good 3-5 years. Hell, the 6700K on the used market only started to drop down to being 100 bucks under the original price (around 200-250), and it's a 3-4 year old CPU. The overvaluation of intel CPUs really hearkens to how strong the Intel Mind share is (6700K is worth more than a 1700X & 1800X right now, only the 3770K is matching the 1st gen Ryzen's price), but I digress. Get the 8700K, it'll last you for a good while. And then 3 years later, maybe us software devs will stop being lazy and start making games and apps that don't use only a sinlge to handful of cores, so that having more cores for gaming makes sense and then you could get a 9900K cheaply (or somewhat cheaply around 300-400 maybe?) and that boost will get you through the next three or so years.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2019
  2. Tryner

Tryner Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Test with prime95

3. Rahego

Rahego Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2019
    jaybee83 and DaMafiaGamer like this.
  4. DaMafiaGamer

DaMafiaGamer Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Images are down, I’m trying to recover them. I’ll be using imgur from now on as pasteboard doesn’t seem to be that reliable.

Also, does anyone know what happened to @danishblunt lol.

5. yrekabakery

yrekabakery Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    [​IMG]

FTW_260 likes this.
  6. jaybee83

jaybee83 Biotech-Doc

Reputations:
    seriously? what for?

7. yrekabakery

yrekabakery Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Breaking the rules too many times when it came to toxicity, I assume.

FTW_260 likes this.
  8. DaMafiaGamer

DaMafiaGamer Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I guess it was bound to happen, his opinions greatly differed to others in an ‘extreme’ way sometimes but I didn’t think he would get banned.

I guess it’s for the better.

FTW_260 likes this.
  9. DARCODER

DARCODER Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Here a bench of firestrike & ultra, also a cinebench. GPU stock, CPU: x46, core -100, cache -12, max 118W. As i told u by pm, i cant have a stable cache at more than -50mv otherwize random bsod.
    CPU reach 76 bcse of cinebench, while gaming or bench max 65.
    Capturettrrd.PNG

Mapl, The Strategist and DaMafiaGamer like this.
  10. poprostujakub

poprostujakub Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Hi @dsanke
    I have a question about my GTX1070 - is it possible to add proper GOP to MSI vBIOS? I used your tool to check GOP version and it says that I have to update GOP, but all vBIOSes you prepared are for Clevo cards.
    I pulled vBIOS from my card using "backup_vbios.bat" tool you provided, but it has 273kB instead of 253kB for Clevo card.