Official Coffee Lake Refresh Thread/BIOS for ALL Clevo Laptops - RTX CARDS NOW SUPPORTED

Discussion in 'Sager and Clevo' started by DaMafiaGamer, Oct 25, 2018.

1. aceoyame

aceoyame Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Got the bios working great on my P751dm. However, it has a bit of an issue though.

Any time I connect the touchpad it makes the laptop not boot. It just stays on a black screen with the EC being responsive as fans ramp up and down. Soon as I unplug it it works great again.

Edit: It randomly stopped doing that but, now my touchpad isnt working. Looks like it doesnt show in device manager

Last edited: Jan 31, 2020
  2. Meaker@Sager

Meaker@Sager Company Representative

Reputations:
    Check the cable and pads on the cable.

3. aceoyame

Reputations:
    I did that and it didnt look too bad the cable. However I replaced it with a nearly identical cable with the same pin count from an e5440 laptop just in case and I am not seeing a difference. The touchpad worked prior to the flash. I am able to recreate the issue with stock firmware and a 6700 CPU.

Just hoping somehow the touchpad didn't die via the flashing (does ME have firmware for the touchpad? Possibly some weird version conflict?) I can only find one place with a touchpad and they want 100$ and I'm not even sure if it'll fix the issue atm. Ugh

Last edited: Feb 1, 2020
  4. Meaker@Sager

Reputations:
    The bios/ecu will be involved with them.

5. aceoyame

Reputations:
    Just updated the EC via UEFI (since CSM doesnt work for some reason with this bios?) The EC update for EC1&2 went fine however it only incremented them up one version and didnt fix the touchpad. Any other ideas possibly? I will say this thing was bought 2nd hand off reddit like a week or so ago and it is a chinese variant apparently from shinelon and my seller from hardwareswap said it had a modified bios to support kabylake originally except I don't believe it was the kaby lake bios on this forum. Trying to get the original from him to test again. I am at the point where I am ready to shell out 100$ for a touchpad if need be but I really would rather not if possible. Just not sure how the touchpad would have died from a bios flash.

Edit: On that note, if anyone knows where I can get just the touchpad and the cables just in case the pins are wonky even on my replacement cable for cheap I will be in your debt. I paid 250 for this barebones. Really not looking to spend roughly half the cost on a touchpad if possible. Especially since I shelled out for an 8700k and a 980m already :(

Last edited: Feb 3, 2020
  6. Meaker@Sager

Reputations:
    Local resellers should be able to quote for the upper assembly and touch pad.

7. aceoyame

Reputations:
    I managed to obtain the original bios on this laptop. Anyone able to tell me what's up/different with this bios if I upload it?

Edit: I said **** it and swapped cpu and am flashing it now. Heres to hoping its something funky with the bios

Edit2: So yeah.... bios definitely isn't the culprit and I found a 3rd cable and it isn't it. So it's either the touchpad or the motherboard. ****ing yay

Last edited: Feb 3, 2020
  8. Meaker@Sager

Reputations:
    Have you inspected the areas around the connectors and the pad?

9. aceoyame

Reputations:
    I have and nothing looks blown, the connectors on the cables look fine. The only thing I can think of if it isn't the touchpad at this point is that I must have shorted something it needs from when I was trying to find the bios chip to do my first reflash due to the first bricking the laptop somehow. I searched the strings off the 8 pin ics I could find and it wasn't making sense at first so I started clipping onto any 8 pin ic and seeing if my ready light lit on it.

It makes no sense to me honestly why it's like this. I work on laptops and other systems as my day to day job so I'm pretty delecate and nothing looks damaged. The cable pins also look aligned in their connectors

10. IllusiveMan

IllusiveMan Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Try checking the activity on SMBUS pins on the TP connector, could be that one or both pins are no longer connected to the PCH chip. If you have at least audio then it's a easy fix.