*** Official Clevo x7200 and Sager NP7280 owners lounge ***

Discussion in 'Sager/Clevo Reviews & Owners' Lounges' started by italian.madness, May 26, 2010.

1. Meaker@Sager

Meaker@Sager Company Representative

Reputations:
    No problem, the pro drives are 5 years so those can actually be replaced a way down the line.

2. DR650SE

DR650SE The Whiskey Barracuda

Reputations:
    Hey guys, I'm still running my X7200. But lately, the 485m GPUs are beginning to show artifacts when running a benching program. Havn't had much time to test. I think it's both GPUs.

On top of that, I took the system with me over Thanksgiving and had some serious issues just getting the system to boot. Tonight I needed it to boot as it was bill paying night.

I fought with it and finally removed the i7 980x and replaced it with a i7 920 quad core. It began booting. So I ran a test after removing one GPU. Still had artifacts. But at least I can get some work done.

Any ideas on if it's worth replacing the CPU or GPUs? I'm considering just getting a desktop. I've had this system since 2012. I don't get to game often (ever, 3 kids...)

I may try and bake the GPUs with a heat gun. Not sure if it's worth the $100 to get a new (used) 980x CPU.

I'd love an equivalent new laptop (dual GPU, 4 HDDs, desktop CPU, ect) but it probably isn't in the budget. Any recommendations on a way forward?

Anyone else ever have similar issues or symptoms?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

3. Meaker@Sager

Reputations:
    The current thin and light machines with a single gpu (and even last gen like the 1060 machines) do blow it out the water.

DR650SE likes this.
  4. DCBomB

DCBomB Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I replaced my GPU awhile back with a 680m and it was not fun. Any card newer than a 500-series and you'll have to modify the drivers to get them to install. Not recommended and not exactly safe either. It did run pretty well after I got the hang of editing the drivers but it still takes an hour or so every time I need to update those drivers and has been more prone to crashes.

Funny timing, I'm actually mostly done with building my new desktop. My X7200 won't be fully retired, assuming I can get windows 10 on it, but it is essentially replaced at this point.

DR650SE likes this.
  5. DR650SE

Reputations:
    Very true, and I certainly wouldn't mind a GPU boost seeing as even last gen cards would most likely out compete a 485M SLI setup. My hesitation is the hard drive space. I've gotten used to 4 drives. One as the OS/Programs Drive (160GB SSD), One as my media (Pictures/Videos/Music) drive (2TB), and one as a gaming drive (1TB msata) and one drive (2TB) as a backup on the go.

The backup drive gets weekly full backups of the OS, nightly differential backups of the OS, and monthly backups of the gaming and media drive. I also (monthly) backed up this drive to an external (4TB) HDD. Media also gets backed up via Copy/Paste to a third drive (just in case, kids pics, family videos ect.). For me this redundancy has saved me (my OS). I keep a small recovery thumb drive (Acronis True Image) in my notebook bag. This has helped when on deployments, or traveling and the system gave me issues, I could just reinstall the OS from a previous image housed on another drive within the system. I haven't had a catastrophic crash yet due to the redundancy. Honestly though, I want to setup a home server that I can backup the images to, and then access from externally to my house, like when I travel. But it's been great being able to be fully independent and have everything with me when I deploy for a year at a time.

I wouldn't mind spending the hour or so to mod the drivers each time. I think the 485M hasn't had a driver update in a while, and probably end of service at this point. The crashes on the other hand would drive me crazy as up until now, I had the system fully stable, till the GPUs started artifacting. Hopefully a bake may buy me some time, but I doubt that will work. I won't do it till I'm fully ready to replace since I may just kill the GPUs. Well I may do one GPU after testing both individually. Weakest link will get hit with some flux and a heat gun.

Do you have any plans for the X7200 going forward? Hands down its been the best system I've ever owned, and the biggest pain in the ass to travel with lol. Did you use all four HDD bays? What CPU did you use? Did you have 680s in SLI? And what did you upgrade from?

EDIT:
    Damn, it just hit me and I had an epiphany. When I traveled for Thanksgiving, my system time was off somehow. This means two things. One, my CMOS battery died. Makes sense since it's old. When I replaced the motherboard in 2013, I likely swapped over the CMOS battery rather than put a new one in. Two, once the CMOS battery died, it likely reset all BIOS settings. This would have dropped the 980x CPU voltage down to default. In going through my post history, I had issues with getting the new motherboard to boot. Even when I did, it was with hyper-threading turned off. It wasn't until I realized two years later I never updated the bios. Once I did, and increased the CPU voltage, it worked just fine. The lack of voltage explains why my i7 920 worked, and not the 980x. Damn I need to not try to problem solve late at night. I know my x7200 battery is dead, just never even considered that I had the system long enough the CMOS battery died. Never held onto a system so long. but at least my system should work, theoretically. Will have to replace the CMOS battery tonight (CR2032) when I get home from work and get the kids to bed and see how that goes.
    Guess now my only issue is the GPUs...I wonder if flashing with a slightly higher voltage and remaining at stock clocks would mitigate the artifacting of the GPUs...

Last edited: Dec 3, 2019
  6. DCBomB

Reputations:
    I'll be using it as a server, more or less, going forward. Would be nice if I can get it to 10 years.

i7 970 cpu, one 485m GPU originally, replaced with one 680m. I used three of the drive bays.

Have you checked your fans? I mentioned in some earlier posts in this thread, I had to start oiling the fans twice a year about four or five years ago.

DR650SE likes this.
  7. DR650SE

Reputations:
    Nice! Yea that may be my plan with it once I get it replaced with a desktop. Not sure if you saw my edit above, but thinking it through a bit at work, think I realized what my CPU issues were.

As for the fans, I did take a look at them while I had them out last night (swapping GPUs around and CPU). One of the GPU fans spins freely, the other has a bit of resistance. I also managed to find a spare GPU fan while I was doing some cleaning a few weeks back. But I think I may follow your lead and oil them. I may use graphite lube so I don't have dust sticking to a liquid oil. How difficult were they to open up? I haven't yet looked at them from the lens of opening them up.

8. DCBomB

Reputations:
    Two of them were not difficult at all; the fan itself popped off and a drop of oil on the shaft there was plenty. Just don't overdo it and don't let it drip off the shaft before you get it back on the motor. I used sewing machine oil which worked fine but I'm not familiar with graphite lube.
    One of them is sealed and a different story. Hopefully that's the one that still spins fine for you. After looking up the model number of the fan, I came across a PDF from the manufacturer that showed how its constructed. I think replacing it would be the right way to go but I can go into more detail if you want to go the super ghetto route I did.

DR650SE likes this.
  9. DR650SE

Reputations:
    Awesome, thanks! I'll take a look tonight and see if I can figure it out. If not I'll definitely reach out.

10. Meaker@Sager

Reputations:
    Nice catch on the battery issue :)

DR650SE likes this.