*** Official Clevo x7200 and Sager NP7280 owners lounge ***

Discussion in 'Sager/Clevo Reviews & Owners' Lounges' started by italian.madness, May 26, 2010.

1. most

most Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Hey guys. My X7200 is still working even though I rarely use it these days as I have a new desktop.

One thing though - we still agree that the newest/most powerfull GPU that will work in the X7200 is the 680M right? Or one of the quadro GPUs of the same age. So no newer GPUs right?

2. DR650SE

DR650SE The Whiskey Barracuda

Reputations:
    ^Good question, I'm interested as well.

Another note I repaste my GPUs and CPU, put in new thermal pads as well. Unfortunately when I tightened the CPU heatsink, I must have over tightened a cmscrew because it pulled the screw sleeve on the mobo out. Temps are still good, idle around 33°C, and fans run full bore all the time. So it may not have quite enough pressure. On the plus side, I let the computer sit on for 16-18 hours idle,and it didn't shut down, which solved one issue and created another.

Would I be okay to superglue it back down to the mobo? Should I use some other adhesive? Then it would create a tad more pressure, evenly, and possibly solve my fan issue. Damn these old computers. Purchasing a new mobo would probably be more expensive than it's worth.

3. Meaker@Sager

Meaker@Sager Company Representative

Reputations:
    The 10 series and up require an eDP internal monitor so that would rule them out.

4. Brown bear

Brown bear Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Who has the latest bios? share please).

5. DCBomB

DCBomB Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Mine is still running more or less fine. It's really showing its age though.

Cleaning out the fans is a semiannual thing for me. I also have to add oil to the fans about once a year. One of them (was) totally sealed so that took a bit of doing; I had to drill a tiny bit into the casing so could add oil. While searching online for details on the fan at the time I noticed it was squarely in the ballpark of when the manufacturer predicted it to fail which was around 40k running hours. That was about four years ago.

The original graphics card fried that December and I replaced it with a slightly newer card, which took a bit of doing to get to work. Since the card isn't officially supported I've had to modify new drivers to get them to install. That took me a few tries to get working well but it's enough of a chore that I don't do it very often.

Right now I'm dealing with a failing hard drive, a 1TB SSD data drive. Surprisingly the original OS drive is still just fine despite being far older. With Windows 7 going out of support in January, I'm planning to build something new to finally replace this so my fix for this likely won't be very clean either.

DR650SE and jclausius like this.
  6. DR650SE

DR650SE The Whiskey Barracuda

Reputations:
    Yup, mine is still running just as well too. I don't get a chance to game often so I havn't had a need to upgrade. However I've wanted to upgrade since 2014 just because I want a desktop. Just hasn't been a necessity so it's been cut from the budget. Once the kids get older and I can game, if I can't do so on the X7200, I'll probably upgrade then. This thing is a tank.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

7. Meaker@Sager

Reputations:
    What model is the SSD?

8. DCBomB

Reputations:
    Samsung 840 EVO. I got a nice deal on it at the time though I don't remember when exactly.

9. Meaker@Sager

Reputations:
    It's a three year warranty on those.

DR650SE likes this.
  10. DCBomB

Reputations:
    Oh huh. I got it from a friend but yeah, I should look into that. Thanks for the tip!