*** Official Clevo X170SM-G/Sager NP9670M Owner's Lounge ***

Discussion in 'Sager/Clevo Reviews & Owners' Lounges' started by Rahego, Jan 10, 2020.

Tags:
  1. Colorme

Colorme Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Yeah. I don’t run many programs, but they are processor intensive.
    Also, don’t know if it’d be better to get the 2060 GPU, instead of the 2070. I really don’t need a powerful GPU since I’m not gaming.
    What do you think?

2. Terreos

Terreos Royal Guard

Reputations:
    That would definitely be up to you. If you’re not going to be gaming at all and all your programs are CPU intensive then you can put the money saved into more RAM, Storage, or have a nice date night.

3. DRevan

DRevan Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    If 9900K was possible to cool down then you should be able to run a better binned chips with ok results

Well thats it, the 9900K was barely possible to be cooled down in RTX laptops.

Clevo P775TM, MSI GT76, Alienware Area 51m all struggled.

MSI GT76, AW 51m have much better cooling than the P775TM due to the better fans and more heatpipes, however even those sometime have trouble during cpu intensive games and the core temps can jump up to 90C (most of the time it stay around 80C).

Well the P775TM has a pretty outdated cooling solution, it is a miracle that Clevo even supports 9900K to be put inside it.
    I have tried 9900K in my P775TM and it was a no go. I underclocked to 4.4 Ghz and undervolted as much as I can but it still reached 85C during the CPU test in Fire Strike which is a pretty short test and gives even lower temps than the actual temp during a cpu intensive game. I have not even tried a game because the temp would have reached 90C without a doubt.

Some people might consider 90C during gaming to be "fine and acceptable" but not me. 90C can damage hardware components during long term usage.

The only 9900 cpu which can produce acceptable temps in a P775TM is the 9900KS combined with liquid metal.

Seeing test results the 10900K has better silicone than the 9900K, however due to the extra 2 cores it still produces about the same temps as a normal 9900K. (94C temp during stress test with a high quality AIO water cooler). Seeing this temp result and considering my past experience I can for sure say that the 10900K will overheat in a laptop.

10700K is perfectly enough for gaming and this one might produce acceptable temps during gaming. Only in gaming, no matter what extra cooling Clevo will add, even a 10700K will jump to 100C within seconds if an FPU stress test will be started. It is impossible to cool down 180W CPU with just heatpipes...unless you throw away the warranty and mod the cooling for direct die cooling and remove the IHS and apply liquid metal.

Well yes 1 out 10 9900K cpus have as good silicone as a 9900KS, however most people will not win the lottery on their first try.
    And yes there is a Clevo laptop which has better cooling than the P775TM and that is the P870 which can produce slightly better temps, however this laptop is not officially supported and only available from 1 seller who only serves a limited group of customers and even that seller has to mod it and apply unsupported software modifications.

So in other words the 9900K can only produce acceptable temps IF you are lucky and in the very few 10% lottery winner who accidentaly got a better than average quality chip AND you combine this rare and hard to get cpu with an expensive and unofficially modded Clevo which is only sold to a limited group of customers.

So yes there is a Clevo laptop which can handle a 9900K during gaming (but it is impossible for it to handle it during stress testing too, it is just physically impossible) but most customers dont have access to that laptop and getting a cherry picked silicon lottery 9900K and getting a 10900K with lower then avarage temp with your X170 order is as hard as winning on a scratchcard on your first try.

So if you want to play safe, buy a 10700K or 10600K.

If you are a gambling man and if you dont mind that in case you dont win the lottery and get the same cpu as everyone else and dont mind that it can damage your laptop because of 85-90C temps produced during gaming, then get a 10900K.

4. Zunexxx

Zunexxx Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    If I were you. I would be looking at the nh57/55 instead, the 3950x+2070 model. Much better for cpu extensive tasks, even if you limit it to “just” 3.5ghz all core.

5. Zunexxx

Zunexxx Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    New update, test unit revision 2 will be in my hands tomorrow. Maybe will upload test results tomorrow or day after tomorrow. Hopefully they are better than the last one. Let’s just pray this will be the final unit or we might have a third delay.

goesto, Papusan, ssj92 and 3 others like this.
  6. lestat2k7

lestat2k7 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Too bad they don't offer that in x170 build, as the 3950x build is more inferior IMO, also no 4K and no 17, makes it very gimped IMO in areas other than the CPU.

7. Zunexxx

Zunexxx Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    You can always get a 4K panel for it, there are 4K 15.6 120hz panels

Papusan and lestat2k7 like this.
  8. lestat2k7

lestat2k7 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    That would be good but anything less than 17 will be hard for me to work on, even 17 is a bit small for me.

Also the build quality from what I saw on youtube review by that OC guy, made me realize it could have been better like x170. So to me it seems like a toy experiment rather than a premium product like x170.

That's why 3950x on x170 with 17" 4K microled would be a winner for me, coz for me multi-cores is much more important. Also I can't help but wonder if 3950x could be fully powered with x170, rather than ECO mode. And that would be even more crazy.

9. BrightSmith

BrightSmith Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2020
    lestat2k7 likes this.
  10. lestat2k7

lestat2k7 Notebook Guru

Reputations: