*** Official Clevo X170SM-G/Sager NP9670M Owner's Lounge ***

Discussion in 'Sager/Clevo Reviews & Owners' Lounges' started by Rahego, Jan 10, 2020.

Tags:
  1. Zunexxx

Zunexxx Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Aw15m test unit results, might improve too before the the final retail unit. 873E8373-D5AA-4EF7-92B9-5BD5301490F8.jpeg B50850A2-ECEA-4CBB-9726-536B86F22877.jpeg

jclausius, Papusan, raz8020 and 2 others like this.
  2. jc_denton

jc_denton BGA? What a shame.

Reputations:
    [​IMG]

raz8020 and DaMafiaGamer like this.
  3. DaMafiaGamer

DaMafiaGamer Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I wouldn't be comfortable seeing my cpu reach 100c :D The alienware looks so nice, shame about the internals...

jclausius, Terreos, Papusan and 2 others like this.
  4. bsch3r

bsch3r Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Who says the internals of R2 are flawed the same way as R1? The specs don´t look flawed to me. If the video card had 180W tdp max and it throttled above 75C then it would be flawed, but it seems no one knows so far. Now I know this is not a popular attitude here, but I can say the looks and haptics of my R1 blows my P870 out of the water, I can´t even look at the Clevo anymore. And with the 200W vbios and the hwinfo trick to avoid temp throttling the only thing that bothers me is the low ram speed.

jc_denton likes this.
  5. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOKs Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    R2@32GB 3200 ram speed. Dell made their refreshed LGA gaming flagship more equal it's thinner BGA siblings. And how long will you all be able to trick your machines to avoid temp throttling? Dell will continue close more and more doors. Started so nice and kind with firmware crippling, now with their proprietary software. They will continue harden the lock out.

And the same for all their models... http://forum.notebookreview.com/thr...-win-update-bios.831450/page-29#post-11025429

Last edited: Jun 21, 2020
  6. jc_denton

jc_denton BGA? What a shame.

Reputations:
    Looks are subjective, but performance stands the test of time. It's Dellawares business practices that most of us disagree with, but that shouldn't stop you enjoying your R2. People have been around long enough to become jaded due to where that company was and where it is now. Now, those who know what DTRs are capable of and how far they can be pushed, hold the Clevo torch lit. We may be at an impasse on some topics, but it doesn't mean that we are fanboying for one side or the other. We, and I think I speak for some of the others on here, we respect and appreciate performance, regardless of the logo on the bezel.

jclausius, B0B, raz8020 and 4 others like this.
  7. DaMafiaGamer

DaMafiaGamer Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Exactly, performance is the priority regardless of the brand :)

Clevo just knows how the get the most out of what it’s got...

raz8020, Papusan and jc_denton like this.
  8. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOKs Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
  9. bsch3r

Reputations:
    The problem with Clevo is they stopped moving forward. The P870 was the last noteworthy product and is now outdated regarding looks and technology (rtx anyone?). And by the way, P870 is also not upgradeable to an extend it makes sense to in fact do it. The most important component imho, the video card, can not be upgraded to a rtx model.

I think the x170 is the first product from Clevo looking interesting since a long time and rivals the R2. Looks are subjective, fair point. However, we have to see, if they manage to craft a better cooling system than in the R2 (warped heatsinks anyone?). I just want to say AW is not all bad in my experience and Clevo is not all good. That AW may castrate the R2 according to their latest agenda is possible but pure speculation atm.

Papusan and Terreos like this.
  10. bsch3r

Reputations:
    The m15 and m17 R3 can be undervolted regarding first reports. This is of course no guarantee that AW will not implement this restriction in the future.

Papusan likes this.