*** Official Clevo X170SM-G/Sager NP9670M Owner's Lounge ***

Discussion in 'Sager/Clevo Reviews & Owners' Lounges' started by Rahego, Jan 10, 2020.

Tags:
  1. Donald@Paladin44

Donald@Paladin44 Retired

Reputations:
    Due mostly to the GPU shortage, Clevo has not released an upgrade kit, and says not to expect one for months.

2. KhaineGB

KhaineGB Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Ok, the issue is definitely still not fixed. I'm at my wits end.with it.

I managed to resolve the mouse issue. Not sure how/why, but I swapped for a different one and that's now working. The sound issue is 95% fixed. If I turn turbo off (set max processor state to 99% in windows) then sometimes the audio issue occurs, sometimes it doesn't. If it DOES occur, it's after 20 minutes instead of 6-10. Temps were 75-77C on the CPU when it started (GPU at 65). Exiting any programs and leaving it for a while restores the audio to normal.

I'm going to try reinstalling linux later and see if the issue is there, but it wasn't before I nuked the boot drive. I'm honestly stumped. I may try reinstalling the audio driver and see what happens just because i'm out of ideas.

3. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox BGA Filth-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    If you are using DCH video drivers that might be causing problems. DCH trash drivers are known for glitches and memory leaks.

Use NVCleanstall and DDU. Download non-DCH drivers using NVCleanInstall and tweak as desired. If you don't use GeFarts Experience, don't select it. Save the modded driver package to a new location. Nuke the DCH filth with DDU and then install the non-DCH drivers.

support needed and Papusan like this.
  4. KhaineGB

Reputations:
    Non-DCH drivers won't install. Keeps saying I don't have a compatible device.

Mr. Fox likes this.
  5. Mr. Fox

Reputations:
    If you have not fully removed all traces of DCH drivers (including the UWP NVIDIA Control Panel) with DDU that error message will always occur. You cannot install non-DCH over DCH and a normal uninstall procedure (including NVIDIA's own "clean install" feature) is not adequate. Run DDU, use the advanced options and remove everything. If you are not using it in Safe Mode, then choose the option to shut down (install new video card).

Disconnect from the internet completely before starting the process. Sometimes Windows Update will bugger up the process by "helping" you install the DCH trash. That can also produce the same error message. Once you have non-DCH GeForce drivers installed, Windows Update should no longer attempt to update video drivers (unless something has changed).

6. KhaineGB

Reputations:
    That's exactly what I did. Downloaded the driver, downloaded DDU, disconnected from the internet, rebooted into safe mode, ran DDU, told it to remove ALL traces of nvidia, ran the drivers I got from NVCleaninstall, told it to run with what IT recommends, got told I don't have a compatible device installed.

7. Mr. Fox

Reputations:
    I am not sure what is wrong. Maybe download a new package with NVCleanstall. This time though you manually select a driver version (not what NVCleanstall recommends) and confirm you are downloading a non-DCH notebook driver for W10. Maybe a desktop driver was accidentally selected before, in which case the HWID for your system will not be present in the INF files. You can also use NVCleanstall to manually add a HWID to the INF for older GPUs that are no longer supported by NVIDIA. Just to be sure Windows didn't sneak something in again when you were not looking, run DDU again before installing the new driver.

I did this multiple times with the X170 that I was tweaking for zTechpc, so I know it works.

Beware of the latest GeFarts drivers though. I would choose one a release or two older. About a week ago I started having trouble with one of my desktops (the one with the 2080 Ti). It was totally shutting off when DX12 was utilized. It would abruptly power off as if I unplugged it from the wall whenever a game with DX12 was launched. I could run 3DMark benches like Fire Strike and 3DMark 11 just fine. I dropped back to an earlier driver and everything was back to normal.

Last edited: May 3, 2021
  8. KhaineGB

Reputations:
    Sorry, should have specified. I manually selected the latest, non DCH notebook driver, but when it asked what components I wanted, THAT is when I clicked "recommended".

And it told me I didn't have a supported device.

I think I've fixed the problem though. I grabbed the Geforce studio drivers instead of the game drivers, installed those, problem remained (best way to describe it... you know when you tune an old radio so you get static and you have to keep fiddling until the voices fade in? EXACTLY like that), looked around online and found a similar problem for a racing game that suggested changing all audio formats to 16-bit, 48000Hz (DVD Quality). Did that, then found a post about my specific audio interface that suggested increasing the ASIO buffer from 512 to 1024 and turning up the buffer size so the CPU is used less.

Did that too, just recorded for 30 minutes, no audio issues.

Mr. Fox likes this.
  9. Joe4zio

Joe4zio Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    out of curiosity, what are your results with LM applied ? (2080s) talking mostly when going full throttle on both cpu and gpu, so around 360 370watts of consumption

10. JCordero31

JCordero31 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    The heatsink i can purchase online right now they have 8 available. The 3080 a friend of mine acquired he has good friends in clevo and in china in general he said he will have it in hand 5/19/21

For heatsink look up 6-31-X17KN-100 on aliexpress i feel its over priced but it is what it is

My friend also let me know that a water cooled heatsink will be available by the end of the month for the X170SM which will support both 20 and 30 series! @Donald@zTecpc this is the surprise i was holding on to from back then. Took longer because its in final phase of testing. He also said it has a small improvement on air cooling the cpu but not to hold my breathe for dramatic improvement.

Last edited: May 3, 2021
    raz8020, Clamibot and Papusan like this.