*** Official Clevo X170SM-G/Sager NP9670M Owner's Lounge ***

Discussion in 'Sager/Clevo Reviews & Owners' Lounges' started by Rahego, Jan 10, 2020.

Tags:
  1. joluke

joluke Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I don't own a X170 but I got a question for you @Prema or anyone that can help me. Do XMP ram sticks actually advertise that the module supports XMP profiles!? I'm just asking because I never overclocked my cpu or ram and dunno if it is advertised

Mr. Fox likes this.
  2. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox BGA Filth-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    You can tell by the clock speed. Other than the new crappy 3200 CL22 SO-DIMM modules designed for laptops with cancer firmware (no memory tuning access) the actual JEDEC is normally 2133, 2400 or 2666, so for modules that are rated for 3000, 3200, 3400...4000, etc. XMP is simply taken for granted because memory does not run at those speeds without XMP profiles or manual tuning. Using XMP or manual tuning requires user action. Having RAM with an XMP profile doesn't enable the profile. You have to do it deliberately. If those BIOS options are not exposed or the firmware registers are not unlocked to allow XTU access then you're screwed.

If you read the specs or product documentation they will often mention XMP, but nothing in the branding name of the module (G.SKILL Ripjaws, Patriot Viper, HyperX, etc.) generally refers to it as XMP. The XMP profiles are part of the firmware on the RAM itself.

Memory modules that do not have any XMP profile in the firmware can usually have that empty space programmed with an XMP profile using Thaiphoon Burner as long as you have a BIOS that allows you to enable SPD write access. You cannot use Thaiphoon Burner on a laptop with a stock BIOS or on a desktop unless you go into the BIOS, finds the SPD write access menu option and enable it. The default value blocks write access. The @Prema BIOS has that enabled by default, so you don't have to jump through any hoops to use Thaiphoon Burner.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2021
    raz8020, Donald@zTecpc and Papusan like this.
  3. electrosoft

electrosoft Perpetualist Matrixist

Reputations:
    The Corsair sticks I've used (both a 3600 and 3800 SODIMM kit) required memory training to find their maximum speed in my P870TM1 (Prema). The 3600 kit was faulty so Corsair replaced it with the 3800's and they're great. Using 2x, defaulted to 2667 and using 4x defaulted to 2400 (below stock SPD) and I following the steps laid out by @Johnksss and @jc_denton I worked my way up to 3467 and worked my timings down to CL15 @ 1.25v which is where they stands now. My system board traces hit a wall there as my 9900k p0 has zero problems hitting 4400 on the desktop w/ my Z390 and stock XMP 4000 CL15 B-Die worked right out of the gate.

Corsair lists some vague wording on their website which basically puts the ball back in the laptop maker's court without mentioning XMP and even implies you can "just plug it in and go"

The sticks have an empty profile slot for programming along with a profile preset @ 3800. I would be interested to see how high someone has pushed these (or similarly rated) sticks in an X170

https://www.corsair.com/us/en/Categories/Products/Memory/Vengeance®-Series-32GB-(4-x-8GB)-DDR4-SODIMM-3800MHz-CL18-Memory-Kit/p/CMSX32GX4M4X3800C18#tab-overview

upload_2021-3-3_23-24-3.png

upload_2021-3-3_23-25-20.png

jc_denton, Johnksss, raz8020 and 3 others like this.
  4. Mr. Fox

Reputations:
    I am surprised they get away with stating that. They have been stating that in marketing materials for a long time (since maybe 2015 or so). I've seen way too many complaints that it never happens and I've never seen a laptop that just does it automatically. Maybe a few models do, but saying "most" seems like it is a misrepresentation.

Perhaps they really mean to say, "Some laptops will automatically operate XMP-enabled memory at the highest clock speed the manufacturer has decided to allow it to run, which may be at a lower clock speed than the memory modules' advertised XMP profile speed."

The popular way around that in 2020-2021 is to have the JEDEC (so as to not even require an XMP profile) programmed at 3200 with sloppy loose CL22 timings and 1.200V. That is not enough voltage for 3200 even with those sloppy timings, so some laptops are unstable, and some won't even boot 3200 with 1.200V. This is a marketing stunt to facilitate selling a more expensive product that makes turdbook jockeys think they are getting something special.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2021
  5. electrosoft

electrosoft Perpetualist Matrixist

Reputations:
    The one that raised my eyebrow was, "No configuration is required to take advantage of the higher speed – just plug it in and go." Yep, just plug it in and experience that rip roarin' 2400mhz x 4 or 2667mhz x 2.....

raz8020, Donald@zTecpc and Mr. Fox like this.
  6. Mr. Fox

Reputations:
    I cannot imagine how many RMAs they receive by misrepresenting the product in that way. It is not the fault of the memory, it is the fault of the laptop. It is misleading at best, even though it is technically correct if you pay very close attention to what they are actually saying. It is subtle, but they never definitively claim it will run at the rated speed.

But, then again, maybe not so many RMAs. I suspect a lot of noobs buy it, install it, and move on to something else. As long as it turns on when they press the power button they are happy and they have no idea if the memory is running at the advertised speed. Many have no earthly idea how to even check to find out. They are simply excited because they purchased high-speed memory and assume it is functioning at high speed. Some might even read that, understand it, and wrongly conclude "OK, I guess that must be the maximum reliable 'overclock' setting" for their laptop and not even realize that it is not overclocked. As they say, "Ignorance is bliss."

Last edited: Mar 4, 2021
  7. DreDre

DreDre Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    That's good to hear ! Don't want to take the plunge until Clevo starts using those 1440P 165hz panels in this chassis though. With hopefully a RTX 3080 150w GPU. Hopefully PREMA and MRFOX can tweak the BIOS to get as much power out of it as they can before it is released to the masses.

8. joluke

joluke Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Thank you very much for the explanation. Been trying to get the information for a long time but when I didn't know what to actually Google, I didn't get any specific info. Thanks a lot brother Fox

9. S.K

S.K Batch 80286

Reputations:
    The ISO has been finalized and tests have passed at least on my machine. Currently using it as a daily driver without issues.
    @Mr. Fox I couldn't add you in the conversation where I shared the download links but I have sent you via e-mail. All others who liked the post or showed interest have been added to the conversation.

For anyone else interested, this ISO is based on Windows 10 LTSC with the following enhancements:
    1. Telemetry for MS and all third parties including NVidia disabled.
    2. All "cloud" services crap disabled and removed.
    3. All driver updates via Windows updates have been permanently disabled.
    4. All IE and related junk removed.
    5. All Cortana and related junk disabled. Cortana removed. Just settings menu exists now but it's a dummy.
    6. All spying "services" removed.
    7. All unnecessary services have been set to "Manual" or "Disabled" where necessary.
    8. All targeted advertising removed and sharing of Ad id with any apps disabled.
    Result is a super snappy, basic bare bone version of Windows that just works without the bloatware or unnecessary crapware in the form of a generic ISO which can be installed on any machine and updated via Windows Updates. Since all bloatware has been removed, windows updates will also not include any bloatware related updates.

10. joluke

joluke Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Share please

DreDre, Mr. Fox and S.K like this.