*** Official Clevo X170SM-G/Sager NP9670M Owner's Lounge ***

Discussion in 'Sager/Clevo Reviews & Owners' Lounges' started by Rahego, Jan 10, 2020.

Tags:
  1. KhaineGB

KhaineGB Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I honestly miss Win 7. Win 10 isn't bad... it's better than 8/8.1, but god I miss 7.

Also, XP is still the king.

Mr. Fox likes this.
  2. Joe4zio

Joe4zio Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    is there such a splitter for the x170 as well?

3. Papusan

Papusan TURDBOOKs Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    The 780W adapter is unisex. One fit all but with the splitter:) X170 need power for both inlets to charge and to provide enough power. Make a custom 780W for a single model is stupid. Nor profitable.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2021
    Terreos and Darkhan like this.
  4. S.K

S.K Batch 80286

Reputations:
    I'm running mine at 3467 MHz.

Mr. Fox likes this.
  5. M17XR42012

M17XR42012 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    The cable for the X170 splits right at where it connects to the Power Brick, it does not have a box in the middle where it splits like the picture for the Alienware laptop. I will take a picture tomorrow.

6. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox BGA Filth-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    Dell/Alienware crapbooks use an ID chip that talks to the motherboard and blacklists AC adapters that are not the proprietary version made and sold my Dell. There are hacks and workarounds to that stupidity that people have been using for a while that involved using a chip with copied firmware or transplanting one from a "genuine" AC adapter. My guess is that the box in the middle is for a chip that has been added to lie to the motherboard so that it believes a 'genuine' Dell/Alienware AC adapter is plugged in. Otherwse, the laptop will not work correctly if it believes a third-party product is plugged in.

HP has been known to do the same over the years and I think some older IBM laptops might have included some similar Nazi magic. The underhanded bullcrap some notebook OEMs do to try to force consumers into relying on them for everything is truly deplorable and despicable.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2021
    1610ftw, raz8020 and S.K like this.
  7. S.K

S.K Batch 80286

Reputations:
    I considered buying that adapter in the past but backed out after looking at the peak to peak ripple voltage rating. That Eurocom PSU has 200mV peak to peak output ripple which is a huge noise signal. It will reduce longevity of the system components in the long run and probably create other problems along the way that are not obvious since high ripple can unleash all kinds of havocs inside a machine running several high frequency precision electrical components. Good power supply units have less than 10 mV peak to peak ripple at the output. I wonder why Eurocom do not have a lambda filter at the output terminal to get rid of the output signal noise caused by this humongous ripple. Personally I would stay away from it unless absolutely needed, especially with a Prema modded system like mine that now has no warranty.

8. Clamibot

Clamibot Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I'd stay away from the Eurocom 780 watt PSU just because of the price alone. It's not worth it. The addon cables also cost a ridiculous amount of money.

You're better served with the stock PSUs that come with the system. They will last you a long time.

Terreos, raz8020, S.K and 2 others like this.
  9. M17XR42012

M17XR42012 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Well, I know a few qualified electricians that are into this sort of thing, and there is a great electrical engineering college close by. I will have them take a look at the 780w power supply when I get a chance cause I can only believe half of what I hear on this site when it comes to Eurocom.

Clamibot, S.K and Papusan like this.
  10. S.K

S.K Batch 80286

Reputations:
    Do ask them to compare the output ripple voltage of both the EUROCOM unit (factory rated at 200mV p to p which is ridiculously high) and the stock unit Chicony A18-280P1A. The stock unit has nothing specified as output ripple voltage rating but based on other units from the same manufacturer, their values are usually not this high.