*** Official Clevo X170SM-G/Sager NP9670M Owner's Lounge ***

Discussion in 'Sager/Clevo Reviews & Owners' Lounges' started by Rahego, Jan 10, 2020.

Tags:
  1. runix18

runix18 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    march / april - whatever....one month is a small price to pay for perfection.;)

Clamibot likes this.
  2. BrightSmith

BrightSmith Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    On a different note, will you be offering the AMD tongfang models as well as the comet lake models that are available now?

3. Entropytwo

Entropytwo Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    X170 smg was also quite alot delayed. Seems like a common clevo thing

4. Terreos

Terreos Royal Guard

Reputations:
    Ditto. Depending how it stacks up to a desktop 2080ti I’d replace mine entirely with this machine. But being able to get our hands on one will likely be a fun adventure.

5. S.K

S.K Batch 80286

Reputations:
    Ever since I increased my RAM voltage up from 1.2 to 1.35 volts, not only have I been able to increase my memory clocks but also the overall motherboard thermals have ever so slightly improved. This is largely due to the fact that higher voltage means less overall current draw (4 modules running at 3200 MHz draw a significant amount of current) which lead to overall improved load line stability and the more stable that is, the lower the peak to peak ripple voltage is across the entire power grid. Lower ripple voltage means less heat, less coil whine and improved longevity overall. I have noticed this in several other motherboards that I own and in some cases, the improvement was so significant that it even helped with the load line calibration for the CPU itself and a slightly better sustained OC. I don't have a circuit diagram for this model (yet) but this is something that I have seen in other motherboards (for which I had the circuit diagrams handy) and is most likely the case in this scenario as well.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2021
    Darkhan, Papusan, electrosoft and 4 others like this.
  6. Meaker@Sager

Meaker@Sager Company Representative

Reputations:
    Sager will be keeping things stock.

7. M17XR42012

M17XR42012 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    And you cannot increase the voltage from 1.2 to 1.35 with the stock bios can you? will it work with an un-locked bios?

8. Entropytwo

Entropytwo Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Stock bios is as locked as can be. Unlocked probably has it but also other doors that can kill your laptop. Premas bios modification went through trial and error for customers to not brick their own machines.

S.K likes this.
  9. win32asmguy

win32asmguy Moderator Moderator

Reputations:
    You could try using XTU to modify it. That value should get applied to the BIOS if its configurable.

Also with the stock bios you should be able to dump it then use UEFITool and Universal IFR Extractor to get the setup menu offsets, then calculate the raw value for 1.35v and apply it using a usb thumb drive loaded with RU.EFI. Changing things this way always has a chance to leave the system in a non-bootable state if a mistake is made, so be sure to review the EC / BIOS recovery reset process before hand.

10. Meaker@Sager

Meaker@Sager Company Representative

Reputations:
    4 ddr4 sodimms are not actually THAT power hungry in the grand scheme of things. Not compared to things like the CPU and GPU.