*** Official Clevo X170SM-G/Sager NP9670M Owner's Lounge ***

Discussion in 'Sager/Clevo Reviews & Owners' Lounges' started by Rahego, Jan 10, 2020.

Tags:
  1. Entropytwo

Entropytwo Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Is it possible to add a code to the bios so it reverts itself to standard if a copy is attempted?

2. S.K

S.K Batch 80286

Reputations:
    I don't think anyone who is likely to copy and redistribute the firmware will ever get his hands on it. Even if they do, the firmware is married to the serial number of the device that is baked into it. It will NOT work on any other device even if copied and the device will most likely be bricked. And good luck trying to find out the serial number from a copied firmware without getting help from @Prema. :D On a serious note, you cannot "buy" it separately. Just try to get in touch with the man himself and see if he has enough time and resources to make one for you. You will have to donate something first but he's nice enough not to ask for a definitive sum of money. You can donate whatever you like (and obviously he has the right to entertain people who donate more and leave the cheap skates and freebie seekers for the end of the queue).

DreDre, raz8020, Papusan and 7 others like this.
  3. Entropytwo

Entropytwo Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    As i don't have this laptop anymore, im kind of just hoping other nice people or my original reseller(xmg) can get their hands on it. I believe alot of wonderful people out there deserve a hero like him on their awfully prisoned x170. And of course Europe can't clone him yet. :)

raz8020, Mr. Fox and S.K like this.
  4. Colorme

Colorme Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Now that’s what I call custom! Nice looking, so jealous right now :)

Donald@zTecpc and S.K like this.
  5. M17XR42012

M17XR42012 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Please enlighten everyone on what you mean exactly? There are a lot of users that are not "noobs" and no one that I am aware of has had any dis-respect for his work. But if the prema bios is so great and it is offered free to partners , what exactly is the loss if you are say in Europe and there is no partner? or in the case of Eurocom, loosing their partnership. It actually seems silly and for people new to the clevo experience, trust is lost when they find out about all these stipulations about vendors this, vendors that, etc, etc.

I have been building pc's long enough to know this is absolutely silly.

Cause at the end of the day it is the people buying these laptops that get hurt and they only way to stop it is to stop buying from vendors that push people around.

6. Meaker@Sager

Meaker@Sager Company Representative

Reputations:
    It's a nice touch to see when booting your machine :)

DreDre, S.K, Papusan and 1 other person like this.
  7. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox BGA Filth-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    I am having a difficult time making sense out of this. The program is pretty simple. You have two options for getting the PremaMod firmware, but only the first one is guaranteed.
    1. Purchase a Clevo from a PremaMod Partner Shop
    2. Befriend Prema and wait until he has time to do it for you
    This has nothing to do with Clevo or with any vendors pushing anyone around. Some vendors of laptops will give you a free mousepad and mouse, or maybe a backpack or RAM upgrade, etc. PremaMod Partner Shops offer Clevo laptops featuring firmware that's not screwed up. You can't demand a free mouse and mousepad, back pack, RAM upgrade, etc. from a vendor that isn't giving things like that away as an incentive to buy from them. This is no different. If you want to benefit from the incentives your option is limited to buying from a vendor offering the incentive you want.

People that constantly express an entitlement or toss out opinions that everyone should get it no matter where they buy a laptop are being disrespectful. They are showing disrespect for customers that followed the rules, disrespect for the partner shops that do what is required to participate, and disrespect Prema's Partner Shop program (which is also indirectly disrespecting him). And, those are the people that are least likely to find any success with option #2 above.

The only people that are of the opinion that any of this is silly are those that think playing by the rules doesn't apply to them. Vendors that don't play by the rules don't get to stay on the program... it's that simple.

DreDre, raz8020, electrosoft and 5 others like this.
  8. S.K

S.K Batch 80286

Reputations:
    Couldn't agree more! This sense of "entitlement" is basically false. It is someone's personal work. They are buying the machine because they want to, not because he has forced them to do so. Now if you buy from his partners, you have the edge. If you are like me and don't have access to Prema partners anywhere in your local geographical buy zone then you just have to ask the man to do you the favor. If he does, all thanks to him. If he doesn't, I DO NOT have the right to sound all fired up and talk about "trust". There is nothing "wrong" with this machine in the first place. Even before Prema Mod, my machine was beating many desktops in terms of raw performance and thermals by doing some nifty tweaks and adjustments. Prema Mod is just the cherry on top for me. In order to put it into perspective for any newcomers, Prema is NOT owned by Clevo. This is his "personal" venture. If you want to get his firmware, either buy this machine from his partner or try to get it directly from him. Don't raise any "trust" concerns because they are utterly unfounded and borderline ridiculous.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2021
  9. Donald@zTecpc

Donald@zTecpc Company Representative

Reputations:
    Point of clarification...it is not free to partners. Indeed, we all pay for it, and then offer it to our customers at no additional charge.

None of the Prema Partners push anybody around, rather, they give them total freedom to choose.

raz8020, B0B, jclausius and 6 others like this.
  10. KhaineGB

KhaineGB Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Congrats :)

S.K likes this.