*** Official Clevo X170SM-G/Sager NP9670M Owner's Lounge ***

Discussion in 'Sager/Clevo Reviews & Owners' Lounges' started by Rahego, Jan 10, 2020.

Tags:
  1. Colorme

Colorme Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    After the e BSODs, we’re you able to get back into the BIOS?
    I’m having a different situation. My screen does not turn on. Like if the laptop was off, but I can hear the fans on startup, and the keyboard lights stay on, until I press the power button to turn the laptop off.

Tried pressing the usual F2 at startup, also tried F10, F11, and F12. Nothing with the display panel turning on.

Took out all RAM, usual 1 stick turn on at a time, replace and try again, nothing.

Sent an email to support, but being the weekend may not be until Tuesday when I hear back.

Any suggestions in the meantime are highly appreciated.

2. Terreos

Terreos Royal Guard

Reputations:
    Yes I can use the machine normally. Bios and all. So far I’m using the machine just stock everything and it’s running fine. Just have not had time to diagnose what happened. I was trying to run the machine on 4.9Ghz all core because 5.0 was just too warm for my taste in games. Since it seems stable right now I think I just messed the voltage up.

Do you have an external monitor? That would be my first test is to see if maybe your screen died on you.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2021
    Colorme and Papusan like this.
  3. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox BGA Filth-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    What triggered the issue in your situation? Did you change RAM or something? Or, it just started acting goofy?

Clearing NVRAM is difficult on newer laptops. Remove the battery, AC adapter and disconnect the coin cell battery. Wait a few seconds then reconnect everything. Power on. Wait a few minutes. If it doesn't power cycle itself, hold down the power button and turn it off. Disconnect AC adapter about 10 seconds. Reconnect AC adapter, and power on. Wait a few minutes and it should power cycle itself a few times, poop its pants, then boot. I had great difficult clearing NVRAM on the X170 after having 64GB or 128GB of memory installed. If you were trying to reset NVRAM after having the popular new 3200 CL22 1.200V turdbook-friendly crap sticks installed, if you have a single stick of DDR4-2133, 2400 or 2666, installing that and leaving the other slots empty can be helpful to get it to take a big dump.

raz8020, 1610ftw, Clamibot and 5 others like this.
  4. Colorme

Colorme Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I’m sure I have one somewhere in the garage. I’ll have to dig it out.

5. Colorme

Colorme Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Didn’t do anything. Just shut it down normally. Came back a few hours later, and display won’t turn on. That’s when I tried to do F2 but still no display.
    Laptop could be going into the BiOS after I press F2, but since I have no display, I don’t know.

6. Mr. Fox

Reputations:
    How odd. Did you update the GeFarts driver, or do you allow Windoze OS X to manage drivers autonomously as a zombie PC? Did you try connecting an external monitor to see if there is any display output?

Last edited: Feb 14, 2021
  7. Colorme

Colorme Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I don’t do any video driver updates, unless they are automatic. I know that Windows did a restart mid-week for some Windows updates.

ive only tried connecting it to my Samsung TV via HDMI, no luck. The TV thinks the laptop is off, and says to turn on external device.

8. Mr. Fox

Reputations:
    Hmm. Interesting. Is the screen totally pitch black with no backlight, or black with the backlight turning on? If the latter, if you hold a flashlight up to the screen can you detect any text or images? If not, maybe the GPU has given up the ghost.

raz8020, Papusan and Terreos like this.
  9. Clamibot

Clamibot Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I don't own this laptop yet, but perhaps you could try the same procedure I used on my Ranger to do an NVRAM reset. I don't know if the procedure works on other machines, but I suppose it's worth a try.

1. Remove all RAM from the system
    2. Turn the laptop on. I don't know the beep error codes for Clevo laptops, or if they even beep at all.
    3. Let the laptop do its thing until it turns off.
    4. When the laptop turns off, quickly insert in a RAM module before it turns back on. You will have about 2 seconds to do this.
    5. Let the laptop crap itself and reset. You should be good after that.

I have no idea if this procedure works on Clevo laptops, but I suppose it wouldn't hurt to try.

Also, do you use EVGA precision by chance? EVGA precision has killed laptop panels in the past. It killed my Ranger's first screen. I was in a similar predicament as you around 4 years ago. I used my Ranger before going to school, but I got a black screen after coming home from my best friend's house. I couldn't get any video output no matter what I did, so I tried a screen swap with my Lenovo Y510p and viola! I got a picture on the screen.

The first thing I'd try to do in the event of no display output is to try the NVRAM reset procedure. If that fails, I try a panel swap. In my experience, it's usually a dead panel that causes no video output to the screen.

Papusan, Mr. Fox and Terreos like this.
  10. Terreos

Terreos Royal Guard

Reputations:
    @Clamibot Evga Precision kills panels? This is the first I’ve ever heard of this.