*** Official Clevo X170SM-G/Sager NP9670M Owner's Lounge ***

Discussion in 'Sager/Clevo Reviews & Owners' Lounges' started by Rahego, Jan 10, 2020.

Tags:
  1. Meaker@Sager

Meaker@Sager Company Representative

Reputations:
    With the right machine though it is a step up. Those compromises just come from the shell but the performance is still pretty solid looking at s glass half full.

raz8020, Papusan and Mr. Fox like this.
  2. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox BGA Filth-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    Yes, better to be half full than half empty. :vbbiggrin:

This explains it further.

Crippling and gimping is status quo for laptops. The days of an overclocked laptop matching or beating the same GPU running stock in a desktop are over now. You can't do that with a chintzy little AC adapter, a thin and light chassis with two or even three tiny little fans.

@Prema does an even better job of explaining it in his comments relating to the above video.
    upload_2021-1-29_17-54-3.png
    upload_2021-1-29_18-6-4.png

Last edited: Jan 29, 2021
    electrosoft, raz8020, S.K and 4 others like this.
  3. Terreos

Terreos Royal Guard

Reputations:
    Wow. I wasn’t expecting a comprehensive video from Linus about this kind of thing. He’s the guy I use as an example of a clickbait tech guy that just knows enough to make you think he’s telling you something important. Those game charts at 8:42 are very telling. They may not be better that a 2080S but they’re darn close. And the 3080 looks like an absolute scam. Yick.

raz8020, jclausius, S.K and 2 others like this.
  4. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox BGA Filth-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    I know, right? 3080 is not really an upgrade worth pursuing if you own a 2080S and 3070 looks like a minor downgrade. Ludicrous. Sell, sell, sell... go, go, go. Hurry, your friends on Facebook are getting one, so you need one, too.

upload_2021-1-30_9-27-9.png

raz8020, S.K, jc_denton and 5 others like this.
  5. Terreos

Terreos Royal Guard

Reputations:
    Still hope for the MXM cards atleast. Experiencing the Eluktronics laptops with the 115w for the 2000 series really opened them up and got nice boosts in performance. So I’m hoping to see the same thing this time around. Question is how much they’ll let these cards pull. So very eagerly awaiting to see that.

Mr. Fox likes this.
  6. Papusan

Papusan Jokebook's Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on Filthy

Reputations:
    I can't undertand why people like or prefer Optimus-books. A disgusting tech. It cripple the performance from already crippled cards:confused: At least you all in this thread don't have to deal with this disgusting mess when you have the Clevo X170.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2021
    DreDre, jc_denton, JCordero31 and 2 others like this.
  7. DreDre

DreDre Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Thanks Mr Fox. I wanted to see your take on this. I feel the same. If the most a RTX 3080 Mobile you can get is 150w there is no upgrade path to it for enthusiasts. I saw similar benchmarks with RTX 2080S overclocked it can run neck and neck with a RTX 3080 mobile. Disappointing so im going to wait to see what other RTX 3080 variants come in the X170SMG and what Prema and other enthusiasts can get out of the X170SMG with those GPUs.

Papusan and Mr. Fox like this.
  8. ajfoucault

ajfoucault Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Just out of curiosity, is it worth getting a 4K display on a 17.3" laptop? Wouldn't 1080p be enough and then maybe getting an external 4K monitor that's 32" be a better choice? (asking out of ignorance, since I've never owned nor used extensively a 4K display that's under 18" in size, I'd assume there would be very little difference in sharpness with such a small screen)

9. Clamibot

Clamibot Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    You are correct. The highest you should go on a laptop or desktop scrreen is 1440p because the pixel density on these types of screens is already pretty high. This is why the Nintendo Switch can reender games at 540p and they still look good, because the screen is so small.

4K only makes sense for large TVs.

raz8020, B0B, Mr. Fox and 1 other person like this.
  10. Entropytwo

Entropytwo Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Regarding 3080,
    as we like to say same with cars, more ccm the better, while small and turbo sucks.
    They are kind of using the same methods on their new garbage tech. Less basic watt with temporary boost watt.

Next year nvidia building a scalper 3080Ti GTR PRO 32gb mobile now with 10w base and 190watt boost.

Papusan likes this.