*** Official Clevo X170SM-G/Sager NP9670M Owner's Lounge ***

Discussion in 'Sager/Clevo Reviews & Owners' Lounges' started by Rahego, Jan 10, 2020.

Tags:
  1. BrightSmith

BrightSmith Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Obsidian is great for its software tools such as fan control. No premamod bios though + you can buy their software separately.

goesto and Benure like this.
  2. DRevan

DRevan Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    That doesnt look good. AW seem to have higher boost clock and Clevo has too low TDP set in the vBIOS and its pwr throttling like a madman.

3. jc_denton

jc_denton BGA? What a shame.

Reputations:
    That's assuming the same testing conditions and settings, which I don't have and are likely very different between the two. So take those numbers with a grain of salt.

Spartan@HIDevolution likes this.
  4. DRevan

DRevan Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Hello

I have so many questions :D

Who tested it and how do you know about it?
    Do you know the base and boost clock of the rtx 2080s? What is the tdp set by Clevo ?
    Did Clevo increase the boost clock and/or tdp of the rtx 2080s compared to the previous one in order to match AW?
    What was the previous and what is the new ?
    Is there a chance that previous model was sent out to some retailers or all retailers will ship the new model ?

What program was used to stress test the CPU ? What fan fan profile was used ?
    If auto auto fan was used then 98C for aida64 fpu test is not that bad.
    Regarding throttling it is no surprise.
    Even 9900KS needs 130W for 4.6ghz cinebench r20. CPU pl1 and pl2 was probably left at default 125w in the bios and it throttled during the test because it was not enough (and not to mention it got hot)

However if the CPU reached 98C while only doing the CPU test in fire strike or time spy then that is pretty bad...it should not go above 80C while doing CPU test in FS or TS and it should not drop below 4.6 GHz.

P775TM1-G can hold stable 4.6 GHz with 9900KS and will not go above 82C cpu temp during TS and FS and P775 has worse cooling than the x170.
    So if you got throttling and 98C CPU temp during TS and FS then something is defective. Either bad thermal paste, too low fan rpm or the cooling is just simply has a design flaw .

However if you got throttling and 98C with aida64 fpu test then that is normal since no laptop can cool down an Aida fpu test with heatpipes and water cooling is needed there.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2020
  5. Benure

Benure Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    What is premamod ? I see this often but don't really what is it ^^'

6. senso

senso Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    @Prema is a epic BIOS modder that has done a lot of work in Clevo laptops, sadly you can only get his work if you buy your laptop form a couple re-sellers that have a contract with him.

In Portugal that leaves you with Clevo-Center and that is a store with a pretty bad reputation due to shady business and awful warranty support..

If you don't plan to go for some world record benching, the stock BIOS unlocked by Obsidian-PC(it is offered by default in all their machines) is enough for you to tweak your laptop.

7. Benure

Benure Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Thanks, I don't look for big bench score, I only look for a good laptop for gaming with a good cooling, desktop CPU and mxm GPU because I don't want anymore a laptop that I can't change components^^

raz8020, Papusan and FDG like this.
  8. Zunexxx

Zunexxx Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    It’s normal for cpu to thermal throttle under stock settings afaik. I stress it using aida64 and Furmark cpu+gpu, and it hit 98c. It’s basically thermal throttling instead of hitting the power limit, so power limit is not the issue here. Fan was set to max, but my room temps were a bit high, at 30c.

I did not go into depth with the gpu yet, will do more testing tomorrow. The TDP is set to 200w but I suspect the boost can be way higher easily, so manual tweaking should squeeze a lot of performance out of the gpu.

back to the cpu, I am quite certain the 10700k can be tamed with a 4.6-4.7 all core performance. I haven’t tried to lower the voltage or repaste it. On the side note, I got a 10700k in my hands tonight which I can delid, so I will test with a delidded 10700k tomorrow. We should see a lot of interesting results.

And no, it does not thermal throttle in TS or FS, only during FPU stressing.

9. jc_denton

jc_denton BGA? What a shame.

Reputations:
    Does the XMP work on the current bios? 3200 appears to run at CL22-22-22, making me think it's borked atm, since it's running JEDEC timings.
    source
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 26, 2020
  10. Terreos

Terreos Royal Guard

Reputations:
    I know it’s impossible to tell how bright lights are in video, but the keyboard lights looks plenty bright. Hoping Clevo isn’t one of these companies that photoshops bright keyboard lighting in pictures and in real life it’s impossible to see in a normal office room setting. :D