*** Official Clevo X170SM-G Owner's Lounge ***

Discussion in 'Sager/Clevo Reviews & Owners' Lounges' started by Rahego, Jan 10, 2020.

Tags:
  1. 1610ftw

1610ftw Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Looks like a very good replacement for conventional hard drives that even may have similar sustained write speeds :D

Of couse you will have a very hard time to verify that as sites like Tweaktown have joined the higher and higher number of test sites that do not show sustained write speeds any more. Better to not confuse customers with some inconvenient truths that may disturb the great cheap NVME lovefest...

2. CedricFP

CedricFP Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Forgive me for I am definitely out of the loop on M2 NVME (I still haven't moved on from my beloved 2.5" SATA Evo 850 drives), but what's the issue with sustained writes? Is the controller overheating and throttling?

3. Meaker@Sager

Meaker@Sager Company Representative

Reputations:
    Eh most people are not doing sustained writes to be fair.

DreDre likes this.
  4. jc_denton

jc_denton V̖̟en̰g̻̼̰̩͙ea̲n̪c̭e̼ ͍̘̤͓̟̤Is̙͔ ̤Mi̻̭̣͎͍ͅn̰ḙ

Reputations:
    But as you know, ram overclocking is a deep rabbit hole brother :D

raz8020 and Spartan like this.
  5. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOKs Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    Not a problem with the best NVMe drives. The problem occur with drives who contain TLC/QLC nand. But as usual... They are cheaper for a reason.
    At least if the ODM lock out everything outside default and or XMP profile:vbbiggrin:

raz8020 likes this.
  6. ThatOldGuy

ThatOldGuy Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
  7. Terreos

Terreos Royal Guard

Reputations:
    You imagined it. :rolleyes:

Probably another feature being pushed back due to the pandemic.

joluke likes this.
  8. 1610ftw

Reputations:
    I find it hard to make good use of an 8TB SSD without sustained writes.
    If I need no performance at all and just some storage where I can dump 8TB I will still use a regular HDD at less than 20% of the price of the SSD.

9. 1610ftw

Reputations:
    Overheating is another issue but they drop in speed even when well cooled. TLC drivers used to have these issues, too but at least for some of them they are now pretty much solved and the new QLC drives really look very bad with sustained writes - if you need them that is, probably not important for a system drive for example.

Here is a good example by the way of the better drives easily being 10 times faster than the Intel 660P with QLC:

https://images.tweaktown.com/content/8/7/8702_05_intel-ssd-660p-review-consumer-qlc-debut.png
    https://www.tweaktown.com/articles/8702/intel-ssd-660p-review-consumer-qlc-debut/index2.html

Last but not least the ****ty sustained writes often also come with ****ty longevity but it stands to reason that if you want to write a lot on your SSD you would not choose an SSD that gets down in write speed that much.

10. Zunexxx

Zunexxx Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hey guys, I am in China right now.

So, basically from what I heard, a system with the 2080s (200watt) and 1080p 144hz gsync display with all the gizmos like RGB lighting, fingerprint scanner also including keyboard per key rgb etc is costing about 17000 ish RMB or about 2400usd, add in the cpu and ram and storage,you will get your final cost.

placed an order for a 10900k+2080s model, should be getting hands on it mid June, will update when I get my hands on this puppy.

raz8020, joluke, Tyche_Tychon and 2 others like this.