*** Official Clevo X170SM-G Owner's Lounge ***

Discussion in 'Sager/Clevo Reviews & Owners' Lounges' started by Rahego, Jan 10, 2020.

Tags:
  1. skandal

skandal Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Dude, no. Companies that build laptops don't care for comments on this forum.
    The reason that DTR laptops are going away is because "no one" buys them. You might find it sad, but it's the hard truth.
    Thin and lights have good enough performance that people prefer them to a big and bulky DTR.

Clevo does not take that into account, because the brand Clevo does not exist to the average consumer.

2. 1610ftw

1610ftw Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    LOL@ TDS - "I cannot twirl this laptop between my thumb and my index finger for more than a minute so it must be too heavy"

Due to air travel weight restrictions I have recently gotten hold of a Zbook 17 G5 that weighs a bit less than 7 lbs which to me feels really light especially given its size yet in reviews of this model reviewers say that one of its negatives is that it's too heavy!

Rei Fukai and Mr. Fox like this.
  3. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOKs Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    jclausius and jc_denton like this.
  4. skandal

Reputations:
    You are quoting numbers of an notebook enthusiast forum. Of course people will want the DTR, it's what we are here for... to tinker, bench, upgrade and mod.

To the average person, that's heavy. Specially if you first means of transport is not a car....

Also, let's not talk about "upgrades". It's cheaper to sell the old system and buy a new one, instead of upgrading the VGA card.

The reality is that the number of DTR systems is declining. It might not be fun neither pleasant, but I think it's better to accept it.
    I think they will not disappear, but they will be an even more niche market than what already is.

raz8020 likes this.
  5. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox BGA Filth-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    I came to grips with factuality and permanence of the abject stupidity of ordinary consumers and the pathetic filth which that produces en masse several years ago. The elite will always be limited by the mediocrity and compromise that normalcy drives as status quo. That's why I ditched laptops a couple of years ago and moved to desktops. No regrets. But, it's still sad to watch and I feel bad for the elite minority that deserve way better than the rubbish the masses are willing to put up with. It's kind of like McDonalds. This harbinger of heart disease and architect of obesity serve their garbage to tens of millions of customers daily... people that happily gobble up their barf-burgers under the golden arches as the Grim Reaper patiently waits for them in the shadows. That doesn't qualify the product as being good. It's just wildly popular, cheap and convenient. And, lots of people have extremely low standards, with no concept of what goodness looks, smells or tastes like. Pretty sad. But, not my problem. You can't fix stupid.
    tenor.gif
    Embracing compromise and being accepting and forgiving of decline is never a good plan. Better to do what is right, stand your ground and reject change when change doesn't fit one's definition of good. As long as the niche exists, the niche is a good place to be. At minimum, you get to revel in the fact of your superiority. Daring to be different and aspiring to greater things is much better than embracing the alternative and thereby becoming part of the problem.

upload_2020-2-19_20-21-50.png

Last edited: Feb 19, 2020
  6. Meaker@Sager

Meaker@Sager Company Representative

Reputations:
    We cant all be enthusiasts in every field. How many of the people here will own card that just get them from a to b? What about house interiors? Do you go to ikea or do you use hand built oak furniture?

raz8020, Mr. Fox and skandal like this.
  7. skandal

Reputations:
  8. jc_denton

jc_denton V̖̟en̰g̻̼̰̩͙ea̲n̪c̭e̼ ͍̘̤͓̟̤Is̙͔ ̤Mi̻̭̣͎͍ͅn̰ḙ

Reputations:
    It read like passion to me :)

ssj92 and Mr. Fox like this.
  9. 1610ftw

1610ftw Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Schenker, Sager, Eurocom, Origin, Evoc, Obsidian all are brands that could profit from a top of the line model like that and Clevo produces laptops that they sell.

I do not care for most technology that the average person likes, it is usually crap.

Mr. Fox, jclausius and jc_denton like this.
  10. skandal

Reputations:
    I'll bet that make more money from the "normal" laptop models.

Cool for you, you are in a niche market. The problem of being a niche market is that you usually pay a hefty premium compared to a more mainstream solution.
    The biggest problem I can see occurring with DTRs is that it's costs can become so high that it's just cheaper to have a desktop + a cheaper laptop.

raz8020 likes this.