Official Clevo W650KL / W650KJ1 / W650KK1 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in 'Sager/Clevo Reviews & Owners' Lounges' started by sicily428, Mar 11, 2017.

1. B0B

B0B Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    How does one acquire that bios? Not that I need it as I no longer have the machine but this mod was brought to my attention on the channel.

If I can wrap my head around this job then I’ll know whether or not I can recommend it.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2018
    sicily428 likes this.
  2. Meaker@Sager

Meaker@Sager Company Representative

Reputations:
    It should not be made a purchasing changer for a regular user, let's put it that way.

3. B0B

B0B Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Clearly. I haven’t and wouldn’t suggest anyone to do this either. But it was brought to my attention that this was possible so I came here for further clarification.

4. sicily428

sicily428 Donuts!! :)

Reputations:
    check this thread
    http://forum.notebookreview.com/thr...kylake-kabylake-clevo-lga1151-laptops.821694/

5. Meaker@Sager

Reputations:
    Fun for enthusiasts :)

6. Fightar

Fightar Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I bought a barebones from eluktronics and I have to say I'm disappointed. The single heatpipe on the gpu is just not handling the heat this thing putting out while gaming and it burns the **** out of my mouse hand with that right-side vent. I've tried repasting it twice but it's just making any difference. I'd love to go in and change a few settings in bios but these are the most barebones bios i have ever seen, even for Clevo. I'm also having a problem with it randomly just shutting off with no warning. And there's this very high-pitched squeal I think coming from the fans that is like nails on a chalkboard to me. I'm likely going to end up returning it if I can't fix these problems this weekend.

I would also like to note that Eluktronics has been great so far. They answer emails and questions almost immediately.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2018
  7. Meaker@Sager

Reputations:
    Sounds like there may be an issue if it's just shutting off.

8. Fightar

Fightar Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I'm sure there is, and I'd be more willing to discover what it is if the gpu vent near my hand and the completely empty bios weren't even bigger problems. I can't use a machine that I have zero control over. I think I'm just going to return the thing and get a NB50TK1 instead.

9. ChrisSky

ChrisSky Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Since Eluktronic sell barebones laptop with cheap price include powerful gpu that make me impress unfortunately i agree the w650kk1 fan placement was bad since it trying blow heat to your hand...

(After all i already bought it and i like it)

10. jl1728

jl1728 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I ended up repasting mine, first with Arctic MX-4 then with Cryonaut. MX-4 was eh, very touchy about how you applied it. A liberal application (cross pattern with four dots) worked best. With Conductonaut and Heaven bench it didn't get hotter than 71C.
    (http://forum.notebookreview.com/thr...r-liquid-metal-safety-insurance-guide.817207/)

With Dsanke's modded bios and DaMafiaGamer's guide to installing said bios, you can unlock most of the bios options. Yes, the stock Clevo bios is junk and there is nothing to change. The unlocked bios has all the options you want, and even if you aren't using a Coffee Lake processor it will still work (I ran a G4600 on mine for a while). It does indeed have thermal settings, including cut-off points for fans.

Also, not sure if you've noticed but the plastic panel underneath the laptop, look at the vents under the gpu. Is there a black plastic sheet glued over the vents? Remove that. I left mine on (accidentally, never noticed it) and my gpu temps would spike up to almost 90C. Removing the plastic is kind of tough, I used a razor to peel a corner. It took a lot of effort to get it off. It's a matte-black sort of adhesive plastic sheet.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2018