*** Official Clevo W230ST/Sager NP7330 Owner's Lounge ***

Discussion in 'Sager/Clevo Reviews & Owners' Lounges' started by HTWingNut, Apr 10, 2013.

1. t456

t456 1977-09-05, 12:56:00 UTC Moderator

Reputations:
    Yes, please. It might still be the led-enable-version, even if your particular Hasee build doesn't have the logo.

2. Ryrynz

Ryrynz Newbie

Reputations:
    No problem, what tool you want me to use to dump it? I tried Universal BIOS Backup Toolkit 2.0 but it couldn't identify the BIOS.

3. t456

t456 1977-09-05, 12:56:00 UTC Moderator

Reputations:
    How odd, UBBT works on my SS series. Perhaps the particular eeprom on your motherboard isn't recognised. Well ... you could try AFUWIN (or AFUDOS), but that might have the same problem. You need a particular version for this system:
    AfuWin64 v3.07.01.7z

If it works you'll have a backup of both the bios and ec. But doesn't Hasee provide stock versions as well as drivers?

4. Prema

Prema Your Freedom, Your Choice

Reputations:
    The EC that is used is actually not the one hosted in BIOS, so a dump won't contain anything but the factory default fallback EC.

Also Clevo never makes a custom EC without adding the vendors ID behind the revision.
    If it just says 1.03.03 then it is stock.

I haven't seen Hasee using the LID LED.
    If you can find a reseller, review or picture of a vendor that did on any W230 revision let me know and I'll see if I can get those files for you.

5. mikeyp333

mikeyp333 Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi Everyone,

Anyone know where to get the Prema Mod BIOS for the W230ST been searching old post after old post and i cant find it? (is it not supported?)

Also just reapplied the thermal paste "Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut" and was wondering if anyone's gone further into aftermarket heat sinks / other cooling solutions /favorite thermal paste ect.

hope there's still a few going about!

6. Ghengis

Ghengis Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Hello from almost a year later! I've been linked to Prema's wordpress site, but it appears to be down for maintenance. I'm running a stock BIOS, but looking for solutions to improve the fan profile. If anybody is still using this system, do you have a solution you like for keeping fan noise down during less-demanding tasks? Last night I was using Playstation Remote Play (in bed), and the fans kept cycling between near-zero and loud enough to be annoying.

7. Meaker@Sager

Meaker@Sager Company Representative

Reputations:
    Is it cleaned out and freshly pasted?

8. Ghengis

Reputations:
    No, I haven't poked around in there for a few years. I can clean it, but I'm hesitant to re-paste myself -- it runs basically fine, except for this fan stepping issue. I checked the big BIOS thread, and apparently I never updated to current. I'm still on EC 1.00.01, BIOS 1.00.02. I have been trying to get up to date, since I saw in a changelog somewhere that the fan curves are improved in one of the releases, but I can't get my USB stick to boot. I asked for help in that thread, so we'll see if anybody gets back to me. If I get the BIOS updated and am still unhappy with the fan noise, I'll clean it, and if that doesn't help, I'll think about re-pasting.

ETA: got the BIOS upgraded (had to disable UEFI, boot to DOS, upgrade, turn UEFI back on). I'll update here if the fan situation is improved.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2019
  9. Meaker@Sager

Meaker@Sager Company Representative

Reputations:
    Give it a proper clean and a re-paste, just clean off the old stuff gently and get some kryonaught/ic diamond.

10. Ghengis

Reputations:
    Totally forgot about this thread until now, poking around thinking about buying something new. For anyone who cared, I ended up replacing the fan because the bearings were noisy and it runs much quieter now.