*** Official Clevo W230SS/Sager NP7338 Owner's Lounge ***

Discussion in 'Sager/Clevo Reviews & Owners' Lounges' started by Ryan, Mar 20, 2014.

1. Nereus333

Nereus333 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Shin-Etsu X23 is a very high performance compound I have used in the past - probably one of the best I've used in terms of performance - however I always found it very tacky and hence somewhat difficult to work with, and as a result once or twice I had to reapply it. You also need a burn-in period before you know you've got a good application or not.. at least that's how it was a few years ago, unless they've changed their formula since then.

I've tried numerous other compounds as well (this is all on desktops, not laptops), but the tim I have been using regularly for the last couple of years is Arctic MX-4. I've found it easy to apply, it provides good thermal transfer, doesn't seem to need much of a burn-in period (if at all), and good longevity. It's pretty much apply and forget, at least for a year or so (depending how concerned you are at keeping your machine running near peak performance).

I have tried Prolimatech compound also - they gave me a tube of it with a Mega Shadow heatsink I tried a few years back.. it was actually pretty good from memory.

2. Ryan

Ryan NBR Moderator

Reputations:
    Anything above the Arctic Silver will probably be within minimal difference...

A while ago I had some weird craving for the best thermal paste, now I just look for the easiest-to-apply ones, like the MX-4...

:D

3. Misesian

Misesian Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Struggling to decide whether to buy this or wait for 20nm Maxwell

sangemaru likes this.
  4. investinwaffles

investinwaffles Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Well, I am going to finally stop draggin my a$$ and put my order in today.

XOTIC just reminded me of the 5-12 day build time through Sager that I had conveniently forgotten about. I wonder if I will be able to forget about it in the meantime (doubtful) :swoon:

Sh3ngLong likes this.
  5. Support.1@XOTIC PC

Support.1@XOTIC PC Company Representative

Reputations:
    I know of a substance that induces memory loss. You need to be 21 or older to proceed.

HTWingNut, Nereus333 and davefromca like this.
  6. LostCoast707

LostCoast707 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    That's how I feel. I am checking my 'new mail' box several times a day hoping to see an update on my order....even though I know they won't be doing anything before Friday. I'm am dreaming they will see my order and say "Hey, this guy looks like he needs this laptop right away, lets do him a favor and get it out to him in a hurry". But I'm quite sure I'm deep into the queue just like 100's of other people right now....so I suppose I will just have to wait. :/

7. Nereus333

Nereus333 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Barely restraining myself waiting on this NP7338.. and out of nowhere my desktop is suddenly throwing BSOD's like crazy.. trying to nail down the cause but no joy so far and I really don't have the time... at least I am now able to log into windows and poke around a few minutes before the next BSOD.. couldn't even get into the BIOS for a while!

It's also making think about a desktop replacement laptop... I love building desktops and watercooling rigs and tinkering around etc., but I just don't have the time for it anymore. :(

8. HTWingNut

HTWingNut Potato

Reputations:
    I hear ya. I'm the same. I used to love to tinker, well still do, just no time for it any more. I have a desktop, and it's more or less my "backup" machine. On a rare occasion I'll have a friend over and we'll play a game for a bit, usually BF3 or BF4 now, and nice to have my laptop and the desktop.

sangemaru and Nereus333 like this.
  9. FouchSoftware

FouchSoftware Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    My main machine is a laptop (NP7280). Since I work as a software developer and travel to client's sites a lot, it just makes more sense to be mobile. I do have a tower that I run my various machines (Laser engraver, PCB milling machine, CNC Router, and 3D Printers) from.

The last real decent tower I built was back in 2007. A dual Quad Core Xenon beast with 4 WD Raptor HDs in RAID 0 and (at the time) a ton of ram (16GB). Now that machine pretty much sits idle. Don't actually leave it run like I used to. It sucks too much power and ran up my electric bill. LOL

Nereus333 likes this.
  10. benibi

benibi Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I feel that the 3K screen is glossy. Gonna call on clevo to ask them !

Indeed, the 2k and 3k screens are glossy, even in france or UK.

I just switched for a 1080p IPS Mat