*** Official Clevo W230SS/Sager NP7338 Owner's Lounge ***

Discussion in 'Sager/Clevo Reviews & Owners' Lounges' started by Ryan, Mar 20, 2014.

1. Ryan

Ryan NBR Moderator

Reputations:
    Thanks for the info. Hopefully it stays the same for US models as well...

2. XMG

XMG Company Representative

Reputations:
    I can't 100% guarantee it will be the same for the US models, but would be 100% surprised if it were different:) The panel is pretty impressive in the flesh!!!

Plus, something that also can't be fully appreciated until you use the panel yourself - if you turn in game res down to even HD+(1600x900), the quality of the image is visually very close to running the game at 1920x1080 on the standard FHD panel. So though you get a big performance boost with 860M over the older 765M, you can also enjoy an additional virtual performance boost by taking advantage of the high pixel density!

steberg likes this.
  3. Lzealot

Lzealot Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Im definitely going to have to check out the new high res displays. Its been a long standing tradition of mine to avoid them. I might have to pick up one to swap out on the 7338 just to play with it.

4. investinwaffles

investinwaffles Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Just bought a 250gb Samsung Evo mSATA drive while I wait for the 230SS to finally start shipping.

Now I just need to make up my mind on thermal paste. I think I am going to try some Gelid GC Extreme this time around. I was considering the Coollaboratory Liquid Metal Ultra, but the longevity has me worried (lots of people report that it only lasts about a year before you need to re-paste).

I cant tell how long GC Extreme will last, but AC MX-2 lasts FOREVER with stable temps (rated for 8 years) so I may just end up going with MX-2/3/4 for familiarity.

http://www.amazon.com/Gelid-Solutions-GC-Extreme-Compound-TC-GC-03-A/dp/B002P5W4RU

5. benibi

benibi Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I was also looking for a thermal paste this afternoon. All the Coollaboratory are hard to apply, you need to be an expert if you don't want to do a mistake....

So I'm going to buy a Prolimatech PK-3 (the third best on the market after the Coollaboratory) and a G.Skill SO-DIMM DDR3 2 x 4 Go PC17000 Ripjaws 1,35v for my w230ss.

Edit : I've the Artic Cooling MX-4 on my actual Alienware m14x and it's really a good one, but actually Prolimatech PK-3 is better

6. LostCoast707

LostCoast707 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I also ordered some Prolimateck PK-3 for mine. That and my 500gb Samsung EVO msata showed up today in the mail. Next week is taking to long to get here. I can't wait to have it all put together and in front of me.

7. benibi

benibi Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    It's the same for me I'm gonna be mad I spend my free time on google to search informations about w230ss, accessories, gtx 860m maxwell etc..... With the doubt that the 3k screen is a good one and without know the french shipping date.... aaaaaaaaaaaaaargh

edit : A 840 pro 256gb 2,5" is waiting for "him"....

8. LostCoast707

LostCoast707 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I didn't have the patience to wait for the availability of the 3k screen as I couldn't even find it as an option yet on the re-sellers sites here in the US. Having a 1920x1080 screen in a 15 inch laptop is decent, so I figured in a 13.3 it should be pretty good. But once the 3k screen is out there and more people have hands on time with it and some reviews come in, I might just buy one after the fact and put it in. As long as the reviews are good that is.

9. benibi

benibi Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I dont know if theres any availability difference between the 1080p, 2K and 3K panels.... But you get a good idea

10. investinwaffles

investinwaffles Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I am in the same boat. I think I will end up flipping a coin to decide between the 1080p and 3K screens.

Basically, its superior colors and image quality VS resolution. And I cant decide because I am to damn indecisive :(

What I will probably do is go with the 1080P IPS screen for now, and swap in a higher res panel if they turn out to be adequate enough. I would love 3k, but if it has sub-par colors its not worth it to me.