*** Official Clevo W230SS/Sager NP7338 Owner's Lounge ***

Discussion in 'Sager/Clevo Reviews & Owners' Lounges' started by Ryan, Mar 20, 2014.

1. WafflesVape

WafflesVape Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I was wondering if anybody knew if the 1080p version of the screen was also IPS like the 3200x1800 is. As much as I want a higher resolution screen, the ultra high gloss and pentile arrangement has me unsure what the right choice should be.
    And do you know if it is the same Chi Mei panel used in the previous w230st series?
    I have my considerations down to the w230ss, msi gs60 with 2880x1620p, or wait for the lenovo y50 with 4k possibly.
    Thanks
    (I wonder if the 2560x1440p option for this chassis will come along soon and possibly be a good compromise too, being IPS and nonpentile but still over 1080p...but who knows how far that is out)

2. Ryan

Ryan NBR Moderator

Reputations:
    I asked this very same question to my reseller, but he doesn't know either - Sager has not provided any other information about the screen, and can't confirm that it is the identical Chi-mei one used in the W230ST.

The other options - 1800p & 1440p - are not yet available and Sager has given no information about when they will be.

3. HTWingNut

HTWingNut Potato

Reputations:
    Yeah, I guess Sager is having some supply problems with the higher res screens. It would be nice to see what the 1080p screen is at least. There should be a W230SS in my lap soon though. ;)

4. Meaker@Sager

Meaker@Sager Company Representative

Reputations:
    It will be the panel manufacturer having issues with yields.

manufacturers want high res screens but they have to be made if they are to be used.

5. benibi

benibi Notebook Guru

Reputations:
  6. Lzealot

Lzealot Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Ok, it is too quiet. 4 more days till shipping day!

7. WafflesVape

WafflesVape Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
  8. CampGareth

CampGareth Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    If the eurocom listing is correct, the 2560x1440 panel used is the same one used in this: Review Acer Aspire S7-392 Ultrabook - NotebookCheck.net Reviews

TL;DR, contrast ratio beats the 1080p chi mei, colour space does not.

9. XMG

XMG Company Representative

Reputations:
    To confirm, FHD panel in the W230SS / P304 is the same as the previous version of the chassis (ST), like the QHD+ one it is also IPS.

Though notebookcheck refers to the QHD+ as a "glossy panel", it is actually less reflective than other panels which are described as "glossy". If you were to compare the equivalent 15.6" glare and non glare panels, the QHD+ would sit somewhere inbetween, just biased more towards glare.

10. Meaker@Sager

Meaker@Sager Company Representative

Reputations:
    Yes it has a lighter grain anti reflection coating :)