*** Official Clevo W230SS/Sager NP7338 Owner's Lounge ***

Discussion in 'Sager/Clevo Reviews & Owners' Lounges' started by Ryan, Mar 20, 2014.

1. mirt81

mirt81 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Temps are normal by not UnderVolting or Reduce Package Power . . . iam on same HardWare Config

You can try disable under Windows 0s when in use to Disable Boost by set max ClockFrequenz @ 99% .
    When bios unlocked under Options for CpuConfiguration you can tweak Package Power Settings .

Cpu Power Limit1 - 35
    Cpu Power Limit1 Time - 28
    Cpu Power Limit2 - 45

Unlikely Undervolting even with Unlocked Bios is 0nly with XTU possible !
    ICC Function requires special IntelMe version wich is chiped within Prema Bios but is buggy for all other Function they need ME . (So no ICC not that terible because . . . )

:)There is a " New" ME Version after Years and maybe not that buggy like the Versions before:(

https://www.win-raid.com/t596f39-Intel-Management-Engine-Drivers-Firmware-amp-System-Tools.html

https://mega.nz/file/jcFQVAxL#w-3xqV0rJnVk-1cBqwqatMaboXiVydgZOQLyYCa_oNI

Have further on good Time by clevo w230sd/ st/ ss ! ! !

Last edited: Jul 5, 2020
  2. CyberTronics

CyberTronics Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Hello good people! Has anyone changed LCD cable on their W230SS full HD screen?
    My good old W230SS' LCD cable appears to have gone bad and I have found one cheapest selling on Aliexpress which is stated to be compatible with W230SS but upon examination and comparison with my old cable I see that my cable has less pins on the connector than the one that is selling on Aliexpress. Can't tell anything about others I have found selling online because there are no close-up pictures so I can't compare the pins.
    My question is though, is it going to work if it has MORE pins in a connector that goes into the motherboard than my LCD cable? Connectors themselves are same size and form-factor it's just the number of pins inside that appears to be different.

3. Meaker@Sager

Meaker@Sager Company Representative

Reputations:
    Should be a part number on the cable?

4. CyberTronics

CyberTronics Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Part number is the same actually but pin number appears to be different :confused:

5. Meaker@Sager

Reputations:
    Probably not listed quite right then.

6. ToNyDeLaPiNaTa

ToNyDeLaPiNaTa Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hey guys!

New owner of a W230ss here.

I am trying to squeeze it as much as possible. Part of the plan is to get a 4940mx processor and a egpu and overclock. Managing temperatures could be an issue, kryonaut has worked excellently well up until now with the old 4710mq, but I fear it might not be enough for the 57W tdp of a 4940mx specially if I overclock...So I am looking into liquid metal.

The thing is I don't really know what the heatsink is made of. The distributor says copper, the seller of the part says aluminum/copper and so do other distributors I have contacted. The pipes seem to be aluminum with plated copper, but the heatsink is a mistery...

So I think I'll bite the bullet, buy a spare part and coat the contact point with liquid metal to see how it reacts over time. Outside the laptop, of course. I'll keep you posted with the results!

https://m.es.aliexpress.com/item/32780082297.html

7. Meaker@Sager

Reputations:
    The contact plate will be copper, fins aluminium. That sort of thing.

8. ToNyDeLaPiNaTa

Reputations:
    Thanks for the info, @Meaker! I scratched the plate a little on the edge and there seems to be no silverish hue underneath, but it is still hard to discern. I understand that copper conducts heat very well but alluminum dissipates it better. In that scenario, the arrangement you describe would make sense. The pipes seem to be copper-plated alluminum and the fins just the same, with an even thinner layer and lots of surface exposed.

I still don't feel too confident about applying liquid metal directly to the heatsink I have inside my laptop for fear of it being actually alluminum with a layer of copper. If the liquid metal seeps...I could find a nice, brittle puzzle inside one day =/.

I might still buy a spare part and try it outside the laptop, tho.

9. t456

t456 1977-09-05, 12:56:00 UTC Moderator

Reputations:
    It's solid copper on this model.

Mine has been liquid metaled from the start, so about six years (running i7-4930MX). Weirdly enough I did have to repaste once since the copper apparently soaks up a bit of the galinstan, but without destroying it as with aluminium. Performance should actually improve a bit then, one should think.

10. ToNyDeLaPiNaTa

Reputations:
    This is fantastic information. Thanks!

Knowing this I can apply it directly on my laptop. I expect it to be soaked in by the copper and have to reapply relatively soon. It just seems to work like that with copper. But once it "saturates" the plate it will last a long time, theoretically.

Can I know more about your application? Did you use some kind of coating to avoid shorts? Tape? Foam dams? How were the temperatures? If you move the laptop around...Does the LM run off the chip? Anything worth mentioning?

Knowing about this can help me manage risks, as we know liquid metal is no joke =/.