*** Official Clevo W230SS/Sager NP7338 Owner's Lounge ***

Discussion in 'Sager/Clevo Reviews & Owners' Lounges' started by Ryan, Mar 20, 2014.

1. Meaker@Sager

Meaker@Sager Company Representative

Reputations:
    It's certainly a solid upgrade over the 960m and the like.

2. why2kliu

why2kliu Newbie

Reputations:
    Sup folks,

I decided to comment in here after years of not showing up.

My Clevo W230 SD (Sager NP 7339) lasted until November 2017, purchased April 2015. The laptop stopped booting up (likely due to motherboard/soldering issues from heat). It's not really worth fixing as a replacement mobo is $400, and you can get a laptop with a 1060 for $700 these days.

3. Meaker@Sager

Reputations:
    Years? You never showed up before :p

The extended warranty could have saved it.

4. gooface

gooface Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I used to own one of these and my dad telling me he would give/trade me for his that he never gamed on and lightly used.

If I took him up on the offer, how does one get the latest Prema Bios for one of these things? @Prema (could someone send it to me with his blessing?)

Whats the best paste to apply to these? Is it still the Innovation Cooling Diamond"7 Carat"? or Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut High Performance Thermal Grease?

I loved this little thing when I owned it a few years back (sold it off in 2015) sad to see this formfactor never really took off after these came out...(Looks like the alienware 13 is dead too)

Thanks!

Last edited: Dec 24, 2018
  5. Meaker@Sager

Reputations:
    Any reasonable paste will do like the ones you listed.

gooface likes this.
  6. Lzealot

Lzealot Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I have to admit my w230ss has been one of my favorite laptops ever. I'm finally agonizing over trying to replace it. It's still going strong, but the 860m is getting a bit dated for gaming. I'm waiting for a review of the new P960ED since that looks to be the new sweet spot. It's a shame they dropped the 14" form factor.

7. Meaker@Sager

Reputations:
    In terms of volume the 15.6" are not far off.

8. The Underdog

The Underdog Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I'm in the same boat and would love to see a refresh. On the other hand, I've been comparing my w230ss frame to modern 15.6" laptops, and it's much closer than I expected. Especially with the shift to thinner bezels. The w230ss feels like it's from a different era compared to my wife's X1 extreme or my work yoga 260. Makes you realize how much "dead space" there is on the case.

9. Meaker@Sager

Reputations:
    It IS a different era, it has been quite a few years!

10. Lzealot

Lzealot Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I know what you mean. I stopped by the microsoft store on the way home from work to check out some of my options. The new msi 15.6 stealth looked like a great machine, but i didn't like the hinge design. I carry my laptop in a backpack everywhere and the plastic hinges had way too much flex in them. I could see them breaking easily. The razer 15 impressed me with its fit and finish. I also liked the speakers on it. Its only drawback was the small solid state drive. I chatted w razer to make sure the new 2060 razer drive would be able to be swapped out for a 1tb and the grudgingly said yes, but really wanted to talk more about dmg not covered under warranty then answering my drive question. For $2000 machine they should stand behind their products a bit better. I have multiple clevos laying about that all still work. D900T, D900F, w230ss, etc.. All have been fantastic machines w no problems.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk