**Official Clevo W230SS/Sager NP7338 Owner's Lounge**

Discussion in 'Sager/Clevo Reviews & Owners' Lounges' started by Ryan, Mar 20, 2014.

1. Ronll

Ronll Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hello!

I am looking for the BIOS of w230ss, I have prema mod right now, how do I revert?

also does the original bios have Wake On Lan?

Thanks

2. EvanMedi

EvanMedi Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    So My Laptop cpu fan is going bad lately and i cant tollerate the noise its making &i was thinking of replacing it

the laptop module is clevo w230ss with an i7 4710MQ and i was wondering where i can find a genuine laptop fan because clevo doesn't ship its product to my country im stuck with the used or chinese market

can someone explain to me the difference between this two modules, and why the price difference is that big between them, Also what should i look in a fan in terms of RPM and voltage ect

also another question is it normal that temps rise to 90C on load with the current fan(before it goes bad), i tried replacing the thermal paste which make me doubt it has something to do with the fan it self or the heatsink

the links
    - 1st Fan
    - 2nd Fan
    - 3rd Fan

3. t456

t456 1977-09-05, 12:56:00 UTC Moderator

Reputations:
    Either of those ADDA-labeled links are fine; that's the original part. That other aliexpress/MLLSE listing is for an after-market substitute. It might be fine, but at the very least the metal shroud is clipped to the base, rather than using screws as in the original, so you won't be able to clean it effectively or take it apart. Also no mention of its power rating; the stock is 0.4A, which is pretty close to the 0.5A maximum for these 5V fans.

Before ordering; you probably don't really need a new fan. These things are durable, but the system is a bit old by now and after enough wear it'll run out of bearing/axle grease. The result is a lot of noise and a limited top-end in rpms or excessive power consumption, depending on whether the motherboard can deliver enough amps to compensate for the additional drag.

Remove the shroud and pull the fan-section (rotor) free from the base with pliers. Make sure to grip only the central part, staying well away from the flimsy blades themselves. Pulling in a straight angle is best, so directly away from the board. Once free you'll have easy access to the busing and can add a drop of low-viscosity lubricant. Once that's nicely soaked up use a dab of vaseline to seal off the top and put the rotor back. It'll be quieter than when it was new, the vaseline dampening any sound from the bearing that may still be present.

Also check it's not simply running against the shroud or base due to misalignment; either will show scratch marks if that is so.

[​IMG]

Ionising_Radiation likes this.
  4. EvanMedi

Reputations:
    So the adda ab7905hx-de3 is the geniune one?? Also i noticed that the temps are ridiculously high with the current fan, will replacing it with a geniune Adda fan will do the charm or im out of luck and i need to also replace the heatsink
    because im having a bad time with temps it GPU and CPU reaches 90C on load

5. Thousandmagister

Thousandmagister Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Use Liquid Metal instead of traditional paste . If you apply it correctly , temperature will drop 20C

Original cpu fan of W230SS is very loud at maximum speed , nothing can fix that unless you drop CPU/GPU temperature

6. Ionising_Radiation

Ionising_Radiation ?v = ve*ln(m0/m1)

Reputations:
    Didn't help me. The W230SS' cooling system is rubbish (one heatpipe each for CPU and GPU leading to one heatsink cooled by one fan) and that cannot be helped. Neither can the fact that Haswell CPUs have FIVRs, which adds on to the thermal load.

@OP, I suggest you under-volt your CPU to reduce load temperatures. Otherwise, you're stuck with 90–95°C temps. That's just how it is.

7. EvanMedi

Reputations:
    its not about the fan noise but more of the ratteling that drives me crazy,
    i guess i will try the Liquid metal but just to be safe how do you spot a bad heatsink??

Last edited: May 3, 2018
  8. EvanMedi

Reputations:
    im already undervolting the cpu with -50mv, even when i disabled the turbo boost the gpu still reaches 92C, but it helped with the cpu temps

9. Ionising_Radiation

Ionising_Radiation ?v = ve*ln(m0/m1)

Reputations:
    Consider replacing your heatsink, though I dunno which reseller might still have them in stock. 'Tis a very old machine, the W230SS. Come July, this series will be half a decade old.

10. EvanMedi

Reputations:
    Tbh im thinking of just replacing the fan and cutting my losses, maybe resell it for the fraction of the price and buy something new, the gpu is already showing its age