*** Official Clevo W230SS/Sager NP7338 Owner's Lounge ***

Discussion in 'Sager/Clevo Reviews & Owners' Lounges' started by Ryan, Mar 20, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CyberTronics

CyberTronics Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    2 months since I got this laptop and paint on the left side of the palm rest is already fading. :nah: I have to put some sticker over there cause if I don't, in 3 months there will be a glowing black spot.

Oh and I had a chance to buy Asus Zenbook Prime 13 really really cheap. I have to say that machine has amazing screen, even though it's only 1366x768, it somehow looks almost as sharp as W230SS FHD screen and colors, particularly blacks, are much better. I fell in love with that little metallic thing... Wish it had gtx860m inside lol.

2. LostCoast707

LostCoast707 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I have a 500-gb mSATA with the OS and all my programs installed on it and then a 1-tb HDD that I use for bulk game storage and movies. I have never seen/heard the HDD ever spin up unless I was directly using it. I ran my laptop with the mSATA only for about month before installing the HDD and have not noticed any appreciable difference in battery life from normal use. Honestly, there really wasn't any noticeable difference even when I watch a movie that is now stored on the HDD vs when I had it on the mSATA and NO mechanical hard drive installed. I can still get around 5 hours of use on 'balanced' power mode, dGPU not being used, monitor set at around 40% brightness and not doing anything power intensive on the CPU.

3. Stooj

Stooj Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Basically, the Windows scaling/DPI system is a global setting that any application can (and should) be reading.
    Modern games "should" be reading this, then scale their own interfaces accordingly. Torchlight 2 and XCOM happen to be excellent examples of this. If you change your DPI settings, it will scale the in-game interface accordingly to ensure it remains readable (even when running full 3200x1800). If you switch either of these games between 1600x900 and 3200x1800, the interface essentially remains the same physical size which is great.

However, some games do NOT do this and instead run the in-game interface at their own 1:1 scaling method (ignoring what Windows says), making the in-game interface TINY. Examples of this that I have are Age of Empires 2 HD and Endless Space. In these cases you are pretty much forced to run 1600x900, regardless of machine power, just so you can read stuff. For AOE2, I'd literally have to break out the magnifying glass just to see how much wood/food/stone/gold I have.

As far as mouse cursor issues, this is a quirk with Windows. Most games I've found, will always use the Windows DPI setting for the mouse cursor, regardless of that the ingame interface is doing. In my case (I run 200% scaling), at 1600x900, games like XCOM and Torchlight 2 still honour the Windows DPI setting for the mouse despite running the lower res, making the mouse cursor twice as big as it should be, but the rest of the ingame UI is fine.

Technically, there's no quality/sharpness loss in comparison to a 1600x900 panel of the same 13.3" dimensions. The "quality" is merely the lack of scaling artifacts due to a straight 2:1 conversion. Nothing will change the fact that 3200x1800 shows 4x as much content than 1600x900 in the same space though.
    However you could argue the the difference RGB layout affects sharpness etc etc. I won't get into that here.

As above, I use 200% DPI scaling. Either side of that is too small or too large for my liking. The FireFox issue is not a problem with sharpness (looks great), but with performance. Firefox in particular is quite literally LAGGY at 3200x1800. Scrolling on websites hitches and isn't smooth. Chrome and IE don't have these issues so I suspect it's a specific problem with how Firefox hardware acceleration works (or doesn't). It'll probably just need some optimization since HiDPI is a pretty new thing and Firefox is a pretty damn old program.

It will look a bit blurry if you set Windows itself to 1600x900. Specifically because you no longer have the ability to use subpixel rendering (ie Cleartype) on fonts. Graphical elements in general will look fine, but text has a weird blurriness to it.
    I've not checked if it's possible to get around this by using greyscale rendering though (Windows 8.1 is capable of both greyscale and subpixel rendering, just doesn't give you options to play with). I suspect that won't work either though. The problem stems from Windows no longer being aware of the fact that each pixel it renders is in fact 4 full RGBW elements.

chris_laptopfan likes this.
  4. Marksman30k

Marksman30k Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Same issue with my W110er due to the soft rubber finish. This time round I splurged on a Carbon Fibre finish for my w230ss.

The zenbooks were known to have some of the best IPS screens on the market.

5. ycon

ycon Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I just ordered (HIDEvolution), I should get it early next week. Didn't choose a finish.

Can I put Carbon Fibre finish on myself? Is it a film or different casing?

6. chris_laptopfan

chris_laptopfan Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Thanks Stooj for your extensive reply. Didn't expect that, but appreciate it! :thumbsup:
    Didn't know that DPI scaling in windows affects games at all, but only the windows icons, windows, buttons and so on. So without this DPI scaling or when it's not working properly (like you mentioned on AoE 2 for example) playing in native res is barely possible because of too small gui i guess....?

7. technoboy

technoboy Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Hi, I've been reading a lot of this thread along with some reviews on the net. Just wondering how it is to use the w230ss on your lap. Does it feel like its cooking your legs, like my alienware m14x r2 does? Thanks!

8. Meaker@Sager

Meaker@Sager Company Representative

Reputations:
    Not under browsing etc, but due to the heat output it's unhealthy to game with any notebook on your lap.

9. Support.1@XOTIC PC

Support.1@XOTIC PC Company Representative

Reputations:
    Typically done as a vinyl wrap. The gist of the option is to cover the chassis of the machine so that any wear and tear doesn't affect the chassis itself. Vinyl wraps are easily removed and leave no residue and so the typical thing to use. Can be done by yourself but can be pretty tricky if you haven't done a wrap before.

10. CyberTronics

CyberTronics Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Not at all. But it does feel a little bit heavy on my laps, even though it's only 2kg.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.