*** Official Clevo W230SS/Sager NP7338 Owner's Lounge ***

Discussion in 'Sager/Clevo Reviews & Owners' Lounges' started by Ryan, Mar 20, 2014.

1. Meaker@Sager

Meaker@Sager Company Representative

Reputations:
    Though an lcd at 40 should not flicker like a crt would.

2. Ionising_Radiation

Ionising_Radiation ?v = ve*ln(m0/m1)

Reputations:
    It does flicker like a CRT. Here's a photo that I took, at slightly less than medium brightness, 60 Hz. Notice the slightly darker horizontal areas:[​IMG]

3. Meaker@Sager

Reputations:
    Yes it will flicker like a CRT when under PWM control, this frequency is independent of the refresh rate.

4. Ionising_Radiation

Ionising_Radiation ?v = ve*ln(m0/m1)

Reputations:
    Any idea how to fix it? I'm going to be using this laptop for at least three years; I don't want my eyes to hurt all the time while using it. Increasing brightness helps; but it just takes longer before my eyes start hurting.

5. Meaker@Sager

Reputations:
    It's a by product of the design of a modern LED backlit LCD, I don't think much can be done without significant hardware work.

6. bana1988

bana1988 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    i just got my w230ss and lucky for me got a small upgrade without knowing.. instead of i7-4700mq got a i7-4710mq.. Also got the qhd screen and the pixel density looks "ipad like". there are still a couple instances where the screen is not scaled properly.. Gonna load up steam and see how the games look at this res.

7. Stooj

Stooj Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    The 4710mq is the revision of the 4700mq (minor clockspeed bump I believe). It's likely your reseller just hadn't updated their site with the new versions.

As far as QHD scaling (have it myself) I've found many games will run well at 1600x900 except the mouse cursor (if there is one) tends to be scaled twice (I think this is a quirk of how most engines directly render the mouse cursor). If you can run the game at 3200x1800 most newer games will scale nicely while some won't.

I've managed to get XCOM Enemy Unknown/Within to run at full 3200x1800 and the framerate hovers around 25-30. For a turn-based strategy it's doable but there's a bit of lag with the mouse input so I run that at 1600x900 and dial all the quality settings up.
    I've also got Torchlight running smoothly at 3200x1800 but it does slow down in dense areas. It's worth noting, at 3200x1800, the pixel density is so high that you don't have to use Anti-Aliasing.

The only other fault I've found with 3200x1800 is Firefox is dog slow on it. I suspect it comes down to the way it renders. I've since swapped to CyberFox (faster fork of FF) which has improved things a little. Chrome is fast but has the well known issue of destroying battery. As much as I hate to say it, IE runs smoothly...but I can't bring myself to use it (mainly due to lack of core addons/plugins I use).

8. ycon

ycon Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Hi,
    I'm wanting to maximize battery through how I set up my hard drives.

Option 1:
    128GB mSata ssd (OS & some applications) + 1TB 2.5" mech. drive (music, photos, vid)

Option 2:
    750GB+ mSata ssd ONLY (os & all files)

Given normal browsing use-would option 2 give me significantly more battery life?

9. Meaker@Sager

Reputations:
    The option that allows the HDD to spin up the least will have a small benefit in battery life (a few minutes).

ycon likes this.
  10. chris_laptopfan

chris_laptopfan Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    What do you mean by '...most newer games will scale nicely while some won't.' ? Do you refer to the issue with the mouse cursor or scaling of the resolution (QHD+ to HD+), that it wouldn't nicely on some games? If you mean the latter one: As it's a linear interpolation from QHD+ to HD+ scaling without any quality/sharpness loss should always be the case and should have nothing to do with a game or application i guess?

Regarding of your speed issues with FF on native res: As QHD+ is way too small on 100% DPI what DPI scale setting do you use?
    If you lower the resolution to 1600x900 on windows control panel, how does that looks like? Sharp like native res and only bigger items or does the screen nevertheless gets a bit blurry?
    Background is, that i wanna use the device among other tasks for graphics intensive works and a significant performance loss because of the high res (like you describe on FF) wouldn't be what i want. But if the screen looks sharp with resolution set on 1600x900 that should be a solution for that, shouldn't it...?

Thanks, mate :)